Military Families

Countdown boards

Just found these, thought they would be a cute way to count til DH comes home.

https://made-by-sepsie.webs.com/

*edit: I dont make them so :P TB

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Countdown boards

• J+MSJ+MS member

hmm...I'm not sure you're allowed to use the count down ones for deployments/etc due to opsec...I would check just to make sure.

ETA: I checked for you. We aren't allowed to use them.

"Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • imageJ+MS:

hmm...I'm not sure you're allowed to use the count down ones for deployments/etc due to opsec...I would check just to make sure.

If you use it for personal home use, it's okay. I doubt terrorists are looking through your window. Plenty of other women use the candy jar method that gives your child a piece a day and they can watch the jar candy go down and know daddy is home soon. 

I wouldn't put it where visitors would see it simply because I don't want them to repost the days on FB, etc. I would use it for my kids. My SIL did a post-it note count down at home for her kids. 

30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Loading the player...
  • J+MSJ+MS member
    imageLemonLover33:
    imageJ+MS:

If you use it for personal home use, it's okay. I doubt terrorists are looking through your window. Plenty of other women use the candy jar method that gives your child a piece a day and they can watch the jar candy go down and know daddy is home soon. 

I wouldn't put it where visitors would see it simply because I don't want them to repost the days on FB, etc. I would use it for my kids. My SIL did a post-it note count down at home for her kids. 

Oh I am a complete ding dong. I thought the post said "countdowns for boards" not "countdown boards" and I didn't click the link to see because I thought we couldn't use them. Sorry, just ignore my previous post. ;)

• imageJ+MS:
    imageLemonLover33:
    imageJ+MS:

Oh I am a complete ding dong. I thought the post said "countdowns for boards" not "countdown boards" and I didn't click the link to see because I thought we couldn't use them. Sorry, just ignore my previous post. ;)

Your baby is eating your brain! Nom nom nom ; ) 

• J+MSJ+MS member
    imageLemonLover33:
    imageJ+MS:
    imageLemonLover33:
    imageJ+MS:

Your baby is eating your brain! Nom nom nom ; ) 

lmao, I'm starting to believe pregnancy brain really is true because I have done some stupid stuff lately. I leave my keys in my car on a weekly basis. Really sad.

• Those are very cute boards.  However, I have two issues with them. 

1.  If other people are seeing them, they are an OPSEC violation.  For example, if the bug man comes in and can see it, you are violating OPSEC because he now has that info. 

2. Counting Down to homecomming is always a bad idea.  Dates change all the time.  If you are counting down to xxx day, you and your kids see those numbers getting smaller and smaller.  Say you get to day 4 and you get a call saying it's been pushed back another 30 days.  What will putting those 30 days back on the board do to the moral of your family?  It's bad enough to know.  It's another thing to have a visual and then have to explain it to little people.  KWIM?

• imageiluvmytxrgr:

2. Counting Down to homecomming is always a bad idea.  Dates change all the time.  If you are counting down to xxx day, you and your kids see those numbers getting smaller and smaller.  Say you get to day 4 and you get a call saying it's been pushed back another 30 days.  What will putting those 30 days back on the board do to the moral of your family?  It's bad enough to know.  It's another thing to have a visual and then have to explain it to little people.  KWIM?

Sorry, I'm usually a lurker..

But this was my first thought! Well actually, my first thought was *wow those are cute*, but then that. It would be so hard and confusing (especially to younger kids) to have more time added to it.

Now my question is... anybody have any good ideas for "counting up"??

I have heard that is the best way to do it, like to show how much time has gone by, but I don't have any ideas on a fun way to do it for kids age 4-6.

Any ideas ladies?? 

• imageiluvmytxrgr:

Those are very cute boards.  However, I have two issues with them. 

1.  If other people are seeing them, they are an OPSEC violation.  For example, if the bug man comes in and can see it, you are violating OPSEC because he now has that info. 

That's why I said I would put it in a private place that visitors wouldn't see it. My SIL had hers taped inside a closet door. All it was were numbers and nothing screaming "My dad is home in XX days from xxplacexx". My niece knew it was a secret and my nephew is almost nonverbal. 

My niece loved seeing the number of days even if days were added but she was 7 and understood it happens.  

With that being said... my husband has never been deployed and I don't have kids. I doubt I'd do any type of counting up or counting down. I think AMN did links of paper (one day=one link).  

• imagemollylila:
    imageiluvmytxrgr:

Sorry, I'm usually a lurker..

But this was my first thought! Well actually, my first thought was *wow those are cute*, but then that. It would be so hard and confusing (especially to younger kids) to have more time added to it.

Now my question is... anybody have any good ideas for "counting up"??

I have heard that is the best way to do it, like to show how much time has gone by, but I don't have any ideas on a fun way to do it for kids age 4-6.

Any ideas ladies?? 

use Post it notes.  On each post it, write the day and write something for dad to see when he comes home.  Ex: write what you did, that you missed him, have the kids draw a picture.  date each one so that the kids can see the days go by and your DH can say what he was doing on some of those days.

• I like that idea!!! 300+ post it notes, here I come! Haha. I better clear some space! 
  • AMN did a paper chain with her kids.  They wrote nots on the paper and drew pics.  They added a new link every day.

We have a daddy wall.  My kids draw or color a picture every day and add it to the wall.  My older kids will either put a test they did well on or a note about something they want him to know up there.  Some of our other family members will put stuff on the wall too.  We've had OOT house guests who have lefts notes on the wall, as well. 

• I like the ideas TX gave. I'll be incorporating both of them when we have kids.

1momma: I actually think that board would be pretty simple to make. All it is is a decorated de-constructed clipboard.

• Actually, not deconstructed at all. I'll find you a tutorial that might help if you want to make your own.

ETA: https://thefrugalgirls.com/2009/12/how-to-make-decorated-clipboards-thrifty-gift-idea.html

https://livetolearneveryday.blogspot.com/2008/12/tutorial-how-to-alter-clipboard.html

• ::butting in completely::

So off topic, but are that many tickers really  necessary?  I mean, come on.  And hope DH gets home safe and sound.

ETA: I want to make it clear it has nothing to do with military, and everything to do with excess.  I appreciate what all of your spouses do so I can live a safe life.

::butting out::

• imageMrsHteaching4life:

::butting in completely::

So off topic, but are that many tickers really  necessary?  I mean, come on.  And hope DH gets home safe and sound.

ETA: I want to make it clear it has nothing to do with military, and everything to do with excess.  I appreciate what all of your spouses do so I can live a safe life.

They're a joke. 

• imagesgsl2009:
    imageMrsHteaching4life:

::butting in completely::

They're a joke. 

Thank the lord.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"