Preemies

sad visit in the nicu today

So my son had been doing really good and actually had his best day yet on Wednesday and then Thursday I went in to hear that he had tons of spells Wed night.  He continued to have more spells Thursday and today.  He had the worst one he has had yet today so they put his breathing tube back in.  It was so sad to know what he was going through to have them put it in.  I didn't realize that they were going to give him medicine to paralyze him while they did the procedure. I felt so helpless not being able to pick him up and hold him and tell him everything is going to be ok.  It really sucks. I felt terrible leaving him today knowing that he was so out of it.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: sad visit in the nicu today

• I'm so sorry this is happening. I hope you have lots of good days soon.
  • I know how you feel.  My son was doing great for a few days.  They moved him to an open crib and told me the following day we would start nipple feedings. Sure enough, I get a call that night saying he took a nose dive.  He developed meningitis and had to be incubated.  Ugh.  The NICU rollercoaster.
    image. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It's always disappointing, but keep in mind that any time off the vent is good for their lungs. It gives them a bit of a break, so it's fantastic that you got that.

Robbie was off the vent 3 times and back on before finally ridding himself of the vent on the 4th try. It started to feel like it was never going to happen, and even when it did, I was skeptical.. but man.. it was good to see it go.

• ugh, that is so scary. i'm sorry you guys are going through this. i know feeding is an entirely different thing, but mia's feeding tube has been in and out what feels like a million times. it is a rollar coaster. but hopefully they all just need time to get strong. somebody likened it to a training for a marathon. some days you hit your goal, and then the next day you may be too tired, and then the next day you're back up and able to do more. . .
  • :( I'm sorry
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"