Cloth Diapering

Serious BG help needed!

I need some serious bumgenius help! Sam's diapers are super stinky, as soon as he wets them, they smell horribly of ammonia. Once they are washed, dried, etc. they are (mostly) fine again.

This wouldn't be a huge deal (I have a bunch of new liners on stand-by to buy), except that when I went to change Sam tonight, he was super red, had welts, and almost had a blister like spot! I've tried everything bg recs, stripping them and using the bleach, rinsing a TON of times, etc...but the smell is still there and something is obviously irritating his bum :(

What do you recommend, what detergents do you use, what products do you use that bg does NOT rec. but that have worked fine for you? We had to run out to buy some disposables b/c I don't want him to get a bad infection :( Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!! 

Re: Serious BG help needed!

• How long have you been using these diapers?  What detergent are you using and when you washed last did you check the rinse cycle for bubbles?  Do you line dry or in the dryer.  I try to line dry to protect the pul and also for the natural power of sun(sanitization effects)

I only use Tide Free and Clear now because my DD is super sensitive to other detergents and it works great.  However I find I need to do 2 extra rinses to get all the suds out. 

• imagebeci24:

How long have you been using these diapers?  What detergent are you using and when you washed last did you check the rinse cycle for bubbles?  Do you line dry or in the dryer.  I try to line dry to protect the pul and also for the natural power of sun(sanitization effects)

I only use Tide Free and Clear now because my DD is super sensitive to other detergents and it works great.  However I find I need to do 2 extra rinses to get all the suds out. 

Ditto all this, but we use Tide HE since we have a front loader.  Maybe if you've stripped and it's not solving the problem you need to use more detergent?  My diapers smelled a little musty when we first started because I wasn't using enough detergent.  I use a full scoop (to the 1 line) now and we haven't had a single problem since.  We do 2 extra rinses also.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • have you tried adding some vinegar to your wash?  DS was starting to get what i assumed was ammonia burn & i started adding vinegar and that plus putting on some CA baby cream at night seemed to do the trick
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks guys! Do you all us bumgenius diapers? I've checked for bubbles, I usually do two full washes, and 2-3 extra rinses. I've never heard of this ammonia burn though...but that is exactly what it looks like! Can I use Tide on bgs? We have a front loader as well. I'm thinking that the problem started since I haven't been able to line dry lately...

Okay, I'll go get some Tide, put them in the sun and rinse, rinse, rinse :) 

• imagegokeyoke987:

Thanks guys! Do you all us bumgenius diapers? I've checked for bubbles, I usually do two full washes, and 2-3 extra rinses. I've never heard of this ammonia burn though...but that is exactly what it looks like! Can I use Tide on bgs? We have a front loader as well. I'm thinking that the problem started since I haven't been able to line dry lately...

Okay, I'll go get some Tide, put them in the sun and rinse, rinse, rinse :) 

Yes most of our stash consists of BGs.  I use the powder Tide HE.  We line dry indoors also (but we're finally making a patio outside and on my list is to install a clothesline out there!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is it the diapers that stink, or just the inserts? I had horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE ammonia stink issues with the BG microfiber inserts. I ditched them all about a year ago, and use bamboo and hemp inserts now. MUCH better. I do still struggle with stink in DD's overnight inserts, but toddler pee is potent and there is a LOT of it overnight.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"