Military Families

PCSing to Germany

DH and I are set to leave from Pope AFB in September and start a new life in Ramstein, Germany.  To celebrate our new life we are hoping to add a baby to our family. We have a dog that is going with us and a kitten as well (hoping to be able to take the kitten). But we have been wanting to try to conceive again after our loss earlier this year. I think my husband is afraid to actually get pregnant again cause I know how hard the loss was for him. He keeps flip flopping about when to start, sometimes he says now, and then he changes to next year and back again.  How should I go about getting the REAL information from him about the idea of adding a baby? and if any of you are heading to Germany, or are already there let me know what it's like there. We are planning to live off base.

Re: PCSing to Germany

• We're moving to Ramstein also!  We currently live in Spain, but head to Germany at the beginning of December.  We haven't been contacted by our sponsor yet and aren't even sure what my husband's new job will be there, but we're very excited nonetheless.  From what I understand, base housing is hard to come by - we were forced to live on base here so we are really looking forward to living in the German community.
  • We'll be moving to Baumholder in November.  Never lived OCONUS before but are definitely looking forward to it!  I have heard amazing things about having a baby at Rammstein so if you happen to get pregnant, at least you'll be in a good location for that...not that that's your main concern.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Graphics
  • Loading the player...
  • J+MSJ+MS member
    I have several friends at Ramstein and they love it there. As for your H, talk to him and figure out WHY he's flip flopping instead of just WHEN. If you can get down to the why and address the problem then you will probably be able to work through it and set a time when both of you are ready.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • I don't know much about Germany per se, but FWIW, Tricare wanted to send me to Rammstein to deliver instead of back to the States. So, I have to conclude that maternity care there is pretty good, if you do get pregnant.

GL to you, and I hope you and YH get on the same page soon.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was stationed at  Vogelweh AIN (about 6 miles from Ramstein) as AF for 5 years and I loved every minute of it!

your animals can go and there is no quarentine! Just make sure that you get health certificates from the vet No Earlier than 10 days before they depart. 

On base housing is like dorms for married people. It is stairwell apartment living and its awful! You can find some great homes off base no problem.

Landstuhl hospital (about 15 min from Ramstein) is great! Not only do they do a lot for combat injuries but they just have great care. I ended up in the ER right before I left Germany but they took great care of me. I had several friends who had kids while we were there. You can also go off base to have your baby if you want/need to.

Ramstein has changed since I was stationed there but I hear that it's only better. 

Enjoy your new assignment!

• Yeah, my husband's sponsor is really hard to get in contact with, luckily Ramstein as an easy to navigate web page with a lot of useful information.  Good luck with housing, it really is interesting looking for someplace when you can't go see it in person until you are committed.
  • I finally got a straight answer out of him. He wanted to make sure that I would be able to help with the move and no be sick when we go on our trip in October. He doesn't mind doing the moving but I am trying to make this new place our home so I will be particular about where things go, which I can see being annoying. But even if I am pregnant I can help move lighter things. lol And as for the trip, even if I do feel sick I will tough it out and have a good time, wouldn't be the first time I didn't feel well on vacation. I explained how I felt as well (see above) and he decided that now would be ok if I was sure that I could handle all of the changes not only with my body but with our living situation. Which I am, I wouldn't have wanted to get pregnant now if I was't sure. hahaha

• You dont have to commit to a place to live before you get there. You still get 8 days PTDY for house hunting and the AF does pay for some time in TLF. I would look online as places you are interested in and then actually look at the places before commiting. I saw places that looked great online but when I saw them in person, they just didnt work for me.

Good luck and if you have any questions just let me know and keep in mind that it has been a few years since I was stationed there.

PS Have you started studying for your driver's test yet?

• Yeah there is a place that we have in our top 5 places that seems amazing online, but we want to see it in person before we sign any leases or anything. I have been living in a hotel for the past month and am pretty tired of it which is why we want to avoid waiting till we get there to start house hunting. Also, I have not started studying for my driver's test yet cause I was going to wait to get it. We will only have one car and I will be taking public transportation pretty much everywhere. But DH has been reading up on it, it doesn't seem like a really tough test to pass. lol
  • Yeah there is a place that we have in our top 5 places that seems amazing online, but we want to see it in person before we sign any leases or anything. I have been living in a hotel for the past month and am pretty tired of it which is why we want to avoid waiting till we get there to start house hunting. Also, I have not started studying for my driver's test yet cause I was going to wait to get it. We will only have one car and I will be taking public transportation pretty much everywhere. But DH has been reading up on it, it doesn't seem like a really tough test to pass..... yet lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"