Pregnant after 35
Options

Lamaze classes

Hi, this is my first pregnancy and due to my class schedule I cannot find a lamaze class I can attend in my area.  I really wanted to take one but if I can't how big of a deal is it?  TIA

Re: Lamaze classes

• Options

i don't really know, I have had some friends who took some quickie class at the hospital that mostly went over what to expect in delivery. She also had an epidural so I am sure that made a difference.

I'm having a hard time picking which style of birthing class to take so I have been checking out the free online classes to get a better understanding, but that might work better for you guys. here are a few links I just found by googling "online childbirth class"

https://pregnancy.about.com/od/childbirtheduc/a/cbeclass.htm

https://www.laughandlearn.com/home

https://www.childbirth.org/

• Options

It totally depends on the L&D experience you would like. If you want to try to go as natural as possible I think it would be worth your time to look into Bradley classes (12 weeks long), but if you just want to have some knowledge about what will be happening and what your options will be at different times you can get that from a book.

I took the 2 night hospital class where they cover the whole L&D process, you watch a couple different delivery movies and learn some breathing and relaxation techniques. I'm glad I did it just so my husband would understand more than myself since I knew he would never read about it.

Honestly, if you are a devil-may-care type person and aren't hung up on being all natural or just going straight for the c-section then you can get away with letting the nurses guide you. Most of them have been through it themselves and understand the best techniques to get you through the whole process.

I am a Wonder-Mom!
    DD#1 - January 2008
    DD#2 - September 2010
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I did the Bradley classes but ended up with an epidural anyway after 9 hours of painful labor and no progression I just needed a break. I felt informed by Bradley but also a little put off by the teacher I had. I would suggest getting a book and seeing if you connect with their method before spending money on a class. Mine cost $250. I agree with Linda, it really depends on what's important to you when you choose your class. Lamaze has a great reputation and history and most hospitals will offer a quick class to help familiarize you and your partner with the Labor & Delivery process and procedures at that hospital so you can make more informed choices.

Good Luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree with Linda....and almost everyone I've talked to says they didnt use lamaze at all. Some of my friends have said if you do yoga or pilates you can apply those breathing techiques in labor. Im not sure how true that is for everyone but we shall see.  My husband and I are taking a 4 week childbirth class at the hospital we'll deliver at and they do go over Lamaze so that'll be another option for me to use. This is our first baby and quite honestly I'm reading up and learning all that I can so when it comes time for delivery I'll have options to choose from on what works best for me. Good luck! 
  • Options
    We're taking a 6 week class through a local doula, and rearranged our schedules to do it. Natural childbirth is very important to Me, so it was worth it to us to make it fit in.
    Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I've been able to find someone that gives private lessons.  I appreciate all the advice and have been checking into the websites.  Its been great information.  Thanks again.
  • Options
    I'm a full time student and would have to miss 1/4 of my semester to take the particular class they offered.  I have found a doula that gives private lessons.  Am very excited.  Thanks for the advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"