Hawaii Babies
Options

anyone have a Bumbo?

If so, would you recommend one? I know that some babies love them and others hate them - just curious how it works for you.

I'm kind of torn on getting them. On the one hand, my dudes loooove seeing the room from an upright position, so I think they'd enjoy them, especially with the little trays to push objects around on. On the other hand, I've read that they can (sometimes) delay unassisted sitting because the baby can become dependent on the support they give - my guys are progressing pretty well in the sitting department, so I don't want to do anything that would hinder that (and would unassisted sitting make the Bumbo pointless anyway, or does your sitting baby still like to chill out in it anyway?).

Re: anyone have a Bumbo?

• Options

I keep having the in-laws and my husband try to push them on me but I keep saying no. It just seems like bebeh's aren't in them long enough but...well that could be said for a lot of stuff I bought (ie Lamb swing..which I used a fair bit and sold about a month ago).

I don't know about it hindering unassisted sitting. I tend to think there's WAY to many warnings out there that make parenting almost impossible. I don't see much difference (as far as hindering unassisted sitting goes) between sitting a babe in a Bumbo as opposed to plumping up some cushions behind them, which was probably what our parents did with us. 

I chose not to get one to save money, that was the only reason. I have this exersaucer for Samara instead, saved over from Maya's babyhood:

imageimage
  • Options
    imageSirenSong:

I keep having the in-laws and my husband try to push them on me but I keep saying no. It just seems like bebeh's aren't in them long enough but...well that could be said for a lot of stuff I bought (ie Lamb swing..which I used a fair bit and sold about a month ago).

Yeah, this is part of the reason I'm not so sure. I do think they'd like them, but how long will we really be using them? A few months? Not sure that it's worth the $$$ (since like everything else, they're freaking expensive in Oz lol!). And I don't think I'd have a huge amount of luck re-selling them since they're awfully bulky (which would make mailing them a PITA) and there isn't much of a secondhand baby market locally. Hmmm.

Good point about the cushions! It's not so different, really - and I suspect that in the cases where it does hinder unassisted sitting that the parents probably just parked them in the Bumbos and never helped or encouraged them to sit up on their own. That's my theory, anyway. Stick out tongue

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think you're right that it depends on your baby. Personally, though, I wouldn't buy one new, even if Adrian liked it.

We got one as a hand-me-down. It's spotless and barely used, so I don't think Baby #1 got much use out of it either. A will stand it for about a minute and then he's arching backward, trying to get out (and nearly toppling the thing over). He much prefers sitting in my lap or between my legs and I'm sure that helps him develop his muscles better anyway.

If you could get one used, I'd try it, but I don't really think they're all they're cracked up to be. Smile

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagelola808:

If you could get one used, I'd try it, but I don't really think they're all they're cracked up to be. Smile

The used ones I've been able to find cost about the same as a new one (OK like $10 less, which isn't a lot when the things are $70), so I'm thinking either new or none at all. I'm starting to lean toward none. Stick out tongue

• Options
    imageredshoegirl:
    imagelola808:

The used ones I've been able to find cost about the same as a new one (OK like $10 less, which isn't a lot when the things are $70), so I'm thinking either new or none at all. I'm starting to lean toward none. Stick out tongue

OUCH! OK, yeah, for those prices, I'd say pass. I got one off CL for $8, but then sold it when I got the hand-me-down. Anything more than $20 would have been a waste for our situation since we get about 5 minutes of use out of it each week.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagelola808:
    imageredshoegirl:
    imagelola808:

OUCH! OK, yeah, for those prices, I'd say pass. I got one off CL for $8, but then sold it when I got the hand-me-down. Anything more than $20 would have been a waste for our situation since we get about 5 minutes of use out of it each week.

Yeah, they're RIDICULOUS here!

After chatting with you and Tina, I think I'll skip those and get some nice wooden toys for the boys instead (this is coming from my ebay profits so it's money I've specifically made/saved to spend on them). Smile

• Options
    We have one and right now it's perfect for feeding her because we don't have a high chair. We just sit her in the bumbo on the island and feed her there. She does the arching thing too though. But I'd say we've gotten good use out of ours. One warning - the only time we have had diaper blowouts is when she pooped sitting in the bumbo. Something about the angle makes the poop shoot up her back. Yuck.
  • Options

we never got one. my plan was to get a used one off CL but i never got around to it.  i just used the boppy to help her learn to sit up.  i'd basically prop her up, and then when she fell backward (the cushion was great to "break" her fall) i'd just prop her back up...and we'd just do that and practice for about 15 minutes every day :) she was sitting  unassisted pretty early on and i think it was b/c she got a lot of "practice" and time strengthening those muscles...

i can't believe they cost so much there! i'd never pay $70 for one...and even balked at some of the ones on CL for $20 LOL

• Options

I would skip them, I didn't plan on getting one or register for it but we got a bebe pod (same type of thing) from someone as a gift.  We didn't really use it much - Jack would always try to escape and I like helping him sit either in my lap or with the boppy.

I will keep it for any future children just because it was free, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get another if we lost it.

• Options

we got one and he started using it in short spurts when he could hold his head up - I'll have to check my blog to see when he outgrew it though - and by outgrew, I mean that he toppled himself out of it - those things are pretty sturdy, he had to push hard.

I don't think it hurt his sitting in any way - it's an entirely different position.

• Options

We got one for Alexa for Christmas... It was a good, cheap holiday gift, and made for some great pictures since we got lime green and she could sit in it while we opened her other gifts and draped them over her while she smiled and babbled. I used 20% off coupons to get both the bumbo and tray. 

I would say in retrospect that I wish we had gotten it sooner... She got it at 4 mo. She could have used it at 2-3 months. She used it from 4-7 months. Around 7 mo, she was able to escape from it, so we had to discontinue use. When we started solids, we put a spill mat down on the ground and fed her in the bumbo.

I would say that it's not necessary. It was nice, but in retrospect, we didn't get all that much use out of it. At least we can use it for our next kid, so then it'll be worth it.

Can you get just ONE? The boys don't BOTH have to be in it at the same time... They can learn early to take turns. Just an idea!! 

Malia & Dave & Alexa
    Happily married since 2-17-08! Three since 9-9-09!
    Baby Blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagemyday1708:

Can you get just ONE? The boys don't BOTH have to be in it at the same time... They can learn early to take turns. Just an idea!! 

LOL trust me, taking turns isn't a problem...when there's only one person to hold, soothe, change and burp them, they get an early education in turn taking. It's both a blessing and curse of multiples. Stick out tongue

I think we'll skip them though...they've started sitting unassisted for 3-4 seconds, so I assume it will only get longer from here. Thanks for the input, all!  Big Smile

• Options
    imageredshoegirl:

I think we'll skip them though...they've started sitting unassisted for 3-4 seconds, so I assume it will only get longer from here. Thanks for the input, all!  Big Smile

I think this is the best choice. We bought one used for $15 and used it for a couple of months max. She liked it but I would NEVER have paid the full $30 or more for it. I have sent lent it to a friend and she loves it for her baby, I asked her to return it when she was done. She bought a tray for it and plans to give me the tray when she returns it. I think if you were to have more kids, it might be worth the full $30 but I would not pay more than that for it. I can't believe you can't find one used for cheaper ,they are all over the place here! 

• Options

imageMrsZiz:
    I can't believe you can't find one used for cheaper ,they are all over the place here! 

I know, it's crazy! I think it's for a few reasons...first, they're newer here than they are in the USA. Second, all secondhand stuff sells for a lot more here than it does in the States (percentage-wise, I'd say a lot of used baby stuff sells for 60%, maybe more, of it's original value, whereas in the USA it's 50% or below). And Aussies also seem to hang on to stuff for longer before selling it. Smile

• Options

imageMrsZiz:
    I can't believe you can't find one used for cheaper ,they are all over the place here! 

I know, it's crazy! I think it's for a few reasons...first, they're newer here than they are in the USA. Second, all secondhand stuff sells for a lot more here than it does in the States (percentage-wise, I'd say a lot of used baby stuff sells for 60%, maybe more, of it's original value, whereas in the USA it's 50% or below). And Aussies also seem to hang on to stuff for longer before selling it. Smile

• Options
    imageredshoegirl:

imageMrsZiz:

How much would it cost for me to ship one to you? I could buy one used here and then mail it to you. Let me know if you want me to do that. They usually sell for about $20 on CL. 

• Options
    imageMrsZiz:

How much would it cost for me to ship one to you? I could buy one used here and then mail it to you. Let me know if you want me to do that. They usually sell for about $20 on CL. 

Aw thanks! I did look into it, but because they're fairly bulky, the shipping cost would make them about the same (maybe even a little more?) as buying a used one here, unfortunately.  Sad

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"