Military Families
Options

When should I call Mom?

This is my first & DH will be at AIT. My Mom will be in the delivery rm. with me. She lives an hour & 45 mins. away. When should I call her to get on the road?
DeterminedBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When should I call Mom?

• Options
    When you go into labor. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't want to call her & then get to the hospital & they send me home for not being dialated enough, contractions to far apart, or BH contractions. It would be a wasted trip for her. On the other hand I don't want contractions to be 5 mins. apart & she's to late.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The thing with labor is you don't know how it's going to go.  You can either call her when you first go into labor and risk her wasting a trip, or you can wait until you're definitely going to be admitted and risk her not making it.  Call her when you feel comfortable calling her. 

Me personally, I would have called my mom as soon as I thought I was going into labor.  She would have rather been there and possibly "waste" a 3 hour one way drive, than to miss it. 

• Options
    I agree with Leslie.  My mom would rather waste a few hours than miss anything or have me be alone.  Do you have someone who is going to drive you to the hospital? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't have anyone to drive me I don't have friends here or family may have to drive myself. The good thing is the hospital is exactly 3 miles from my house.
  • Options
    Have you considered having your mom stay with you from your due date on?  This way she's not racing to get there in time and you're not freaking out worrying if she's going to make...you'll have more important things to worry about.
  • Options

imageSgt M's Wife:
    Have you considered having your mom stay with you from your due date on?  This way she's not racing to get there in time and you're not freaking out worrying if she's going to make...you'll have more important things to worry about.

This is what I would do if possible. Honestly, on our first, if H can't be around, I want my mom there to help me out. I've had lots of experience with babies, but being the sole caretaker? Never.

• Options

imageshinece:
    I don't have anyone to drive me I don't have friends here or family may have to drive myself. The good thing is the hospital is exactly 3 miles from my house.

I think I would call a Cab!  but in regards to your mom, maybe she should come near your due date and stay a week or so

• Options
    I'm sure that if she comes and you aren't quite ready, she's not going to mind hanging around with you and anticipating together.  Call her when you feel like it's time or see if she wants to come stay with you.  Good Luck
  • Options
    I would have my mom come the minute I went into labor, and I'm pretty sure even if they sent me home that she wouldn't mind coming and staying with me. Would that be a possibility for you?
  • Options

Whatever you do, do NOT try to drive yourself to the hospital while in labor. 

My DD (only child) lives all the way across the country and isn't sure where her DH will be (he's currently in Marine TBS) when her due date arrives. So far our plan is I will fly to stay with her 1-2 weeks prior to her due date, and stay 2 weeks after the baby arrives.

The others are correct, there is no way to predict how fast or slow your labor will be. I have one young friend who headed to the hospital at the first sign of labor and barely made it in time, first pregnancy. I agree with the suggestions about having your mom come stay with you near your due date. You might not feel like going to the store, cleaning house, etc. These are things a mom can do to help make sure you are well-rested before the big day. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"