School-Aged Children
Options

I don't want to be "that mom" WWYD?

So, DD's first day of school was yesterday.  When we got to school we discovered that she was going to be in the same classroom as last year.  Apparently they moved teachers around.  The problem is the classroom is directly next to the cafeteria, which serves lunch from 10:30 to 1:00 and sometimes even has a PE class if its raining.  This was a huge distraction for DD last year.  She would complain all the time that she had a hard time paying attention because of all the noise coming from the cafeteria.  I have been at the school during that time and honestly was in shock and the amount of screaming they allow.  While she did pretty well grade-wise, mostly B's and some A's, she struggled and the teacher more than once said that she lacked focus, which we recognize is partly her personality but also is partly due to the noise level. 

So, should I immediately try to get her switched out, or wait it out a few weeks and speak with her teachers to find out how she is performing?

Re: I don't want to be "that mom" WWYD?

• Options

I am sure that I am "THAT MOM" but I would do a few different things first.

1.) Talk to the teacher and let her know the problems your DD had last year.  This way you are giving the teacher a heads up about a potential problem and giving the teacher the opportunity to work with it. (For example, I know one teacher who played soft classical music with the door shut last year when the younger classes where going by for recess). 

2.) Give a few weeks to see what happens. There may be new lunch aides who won't tolerate the noise level (=less noise), there may be just less noise in general, ect. It's a new year, so I'd wait to see if things have changed. 

Good luck!!!

• Options
    I wouldn't bother waiting.  I would just switch her out if that was ok with her.  She may be losing friends by being switched to a different class.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Go ahead and be "that mom."  I'd talk to the teacher to see what can be done and ask if it would help if you went to the principal about the noise issue.  I've found that "that mom" is the one who gets results and gets problems fixed in schools.  More than just your child will benefit from your involvement.  

• Options

Teacher chiming in here. I would be "that mom" now. There really isn't a whole lot the teacher can do if you want her moved. I would go to the principal and explain the situation. Now, at my last school, kids never got moved no matter what, so honestly it wouldn't do much. There were way too many helicopter parents who demanded their kids be moved every little thing, so the principal had to take a hard line stance. My current school will move kids if they need to- but it is way easier on everyone to do it sooner rather then later.

If you just want the teacher to be aware, I'd just talk to the teacher asap. Would things be better if she was away from the door or the shared walls? That is something the teacher could control. It's a tough situation.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    I want to say thanks to everyone for your input.  What we have decided for now is that I sent the teacher a note explaining the situation and how it affected Lauren last year.  We asked that she let us know if she noticed any issues and I plan on following up by requesting a parent teacher conference. 
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with being "that mom", it means you care enough to stand up for your child...do what needs to be done to get your DD a good education!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"