Potty Training

he's not ready

My potty training plan for this summer was to get him used to trying to go on the potty(he was terrified of it).   We had a couple vacations planned and once they were over, I was going to do a week or so in pull ups and then go cold turkey to underwear.    Well, he did okay in the pull ups...50% of his pees were in the toilet and he was starting to get really excited.   He even asked to go potty out in public a couple times.  

I bought him Elmo, Thomas, and  Cars underwear and he was excited over that.     So a few days before I planned on trying undies, he shut down.    He refused to go near the potty and was terrified of it again. Praise failed.   His special only get to look at while sitting on the potty books wouldn't work.   Stickers and food rewards wouldn't work.   Nothing could entice him

I tried the underwear yesterday because  my self imposed PT deadline was Sept(since I go back to school) and it was a big fat fail.      Other than sitting on the potty for 10 seconds before I put them on, he would not go near the toilet.    Flipped his lid when I tried to get him in there.    He went through 6 pairs of underwear before I said this is not going to work.     He would pee and yell dirty!   When I left him alone so I could throw the wash in, I returned to find him in the kitchen peeing on the floor with his underwear in hand.   He pointed and said dirty and then held up his underwear and said clean.    Grrrr,

So we're taking a step back and going to use pullups for a bit.     I need to get him over this fear/refusal to go near the potty.    Once we've conquered that, we'll try undies again.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: he's not ready

• My DS went through/is going through something very similar!  He had tried the potty a few times and started to tell me when he was going, so I tried the 3 day PTing and went cold turkey to underwear in the end of July for 2 days, by day 2 he was DEATHLY afraid of the potty.  He still won't go near it.  He was holding his poop and pee and screaming all day long about it...so even though I was supposed to have gotten rid of his diapers, I had to get them out again.  It had become a huge power struggle.  It still frustrates the heck out of me b/c he even tells me when he is pooping or peeing in his diaper, but he is still afraid to go near a darn potty! I have a little potty and a seat for the big one too.  

I decided to back off. I put the ball in his court, instead of asking all the time and talking about it, I am letting it be his decision, I told him to let me know when he wants to use the potty and I will help if he needs it.

I bought a "potty scotty" doll and use it to shown him how the doll drinks and wets, he loves it, but it has not yet inspired him to use the potty.  I am trying to be patient, but it is tough!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"