D.C. Area Babies
Options

more BFing issues...(long)

We now have a confirmed case of lipase - https://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/lipase-expressedmilk.html (eeclem,thanks for tuning me into it, LC confirmed it).

Has anyone dealt with it? Since I pump 3x a day at work, it is impossible for me to scald the milk after expressing it, at best I can do it as soon as I get home (as if I did not have enough to do when getting home). You cannot imagine what a PITA this is! Is it OK to scald the milk this late? Some of it is almost 10 hrs old by then. Is it OK to mix 10hr old milk with 24hr old milk and scald it then?

DS is so sensitive that he's now even refusing milk that was pumped 48hrs ago and stored in the fridge. I read that lipase could be causing even freshly pumped milk to smell/taste sour (there is nothing wrong with it, it's just a different taste). This is a huge problem as I plan to pump for the next day and scald/cool/freeze anything I pump over what he's eating. This week I'm working M/W/F which is why he's getting 48-hr old milk. I go back F/T after Labor Day.

I do plan to address these with my LC next week.

He's almost 12weeks old but my goal of 6mos seems unatainable right now. If he keeps refusing all milk (except when I nurse him), we'll have to go to formula and I know there's nothing wrong with that but I have so much milk and I really really want him to be eBFed, I'm just so frustrated.

Oh, and for those who remember my earlier struggles, I'm still nursing with a shield, he still often gums me (tied-tongue, borderline, we are not clipping) and I honestly don't think I'll be able to take the pain once the teeth come in.

*sigh* and thanks for reading if you got this far

Re: more BFing issues...(long)

• Options
    I don't have any advice to offer but wanted to say that I'm so so sorry you are having yet another issue BF'ing this time around!
    imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• Options

i can't imagine how frustrating this must be for you.

is it possible to bring a hot plate to work with you and scald the milk there? 

so sorry you have to deal with this on top of your previous challenges wtih BFing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh. That sucks. I don't have any experience with scalding, but I think there are one or two ladies on the BFing board that do it - you might want to ask there.
    The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageLindseyJW:

hmm...not a bad idea...theoretically not allowed but toasters aren't either & I brought one in & my boss was ecstatic! (we do bagel days)

I'd do it in the mother's room of course

• Options
    Can you scald milk in the microwave?  If the hot plate does not work out, perhaps that might work.  I am so sorry you are having another nursing issue.  I swear I spent more time worried about nursing than anything else DDs first year.  It can be exhausting.  Worth it but exhausting.
  • Options
    imageSofka:
    imageLindseyJW:

hmm...not a bad idea...theoretically not allowed but toasters aren't either & I brought one in & my boss was ecstatic! (we do bagel days)

I'd do it in the mother's room of course

well, since there is a medical need and all, maybe they can make an exception!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageHey Jellisy:
    Can you scald milk in the microwave?  If the hot plate does not work out, perhaps that might work.  I am so sorry you are having another nursing issue.  I swear I spent more time worried about nursing than anything else DDs first year.  It can be exhausting.  Worth it but exhausting.

no, can't microwave BM

• Options
    hi, I responded to you on the BF board, I do have a lipse issue and scald my milk (it's great fun - being sarcastic!)  If you have more questions I can try to answer from my experience the past 2 months.
  • Options

I'm sorry.

I planned to BF for 6months (until I went back to work) and after 3wks, my milk supply was gone.  Like, not even leaking.  I was so upset...I knew there was nothing I could do (or could have done to prevent it), but I really felt like I was letting my baby down (at the end we were supplementing with formula & he clearly preferred the pumped milk).

Now he's on 100% formula & is still a happy, healthy baby.  I still wish BFing could have worked out, but, in the end, formula wasn't as bad as I expected.

Good luck to you.  I know this is really difficult.

• Options

Sorry that you are going through this too!  I found this thread on the LLL website to be a wealth of information.

https://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=297

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"