Pregnant after 35

Scared and sad-getting it out in writing...

-->
While my pregnancy has been going along just great in spite of my silly "old age" fears, I sure wasn't expecting my world to be shaken up as is has been in the last few days.  My mother, my lifeline, was just diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer and we are in the process of dealling with the diagnostics and treatment course at our local cancer center. Over the course of my pregnancy, my mother and I have become so much closer than we ever had been and I am so scared for her and my elderly father.  I so want her to keep up the faith and be as strong as possible as we muddle through this-not only for herself, but also for me, for which I am feeling so selfish about.  We were going to be depending on her in the upcoming months and she too was looking so forward to being there for the baby and me.  If anything, in the midst of this news, at least our baby will bring with him great joy and hopefully, diversion from the negatives of the condition, so she can focus on the goal of being free and healthy in the future for everyone including herself.  Thank you for letting me share and for "listening".
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Scared and sad-getting it out in writing...

• Please don't think yourself selfish - this is a wonderful time and I agree, I am sure your mother has enjoyed being so involved in your pregnancy.  I am so sorry you are going through this (your entire family) right now.  Your baby will continue to bring joy to you all - I'm glad you shared this and got it off your chest, I can't imagine how overwhelming it must all be.  I wish your mother and you, very healthy months ahead!!
  • I can empathize with feeling scared for your mom and also being afraid of not having her around as she is going through treatment and getting better.  I would hope that being able to feel the baby kick and share your excitement would provide her with a much welcomed distraction from her current ordeal.  I am keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry to hear of your news. I'm betting your LO will be the fuel she needs to face her treatments and recovery.
    8 month cutie

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am so sorry. Hopefully this baby gives her even more reason to fight and get healthy again so she can enjoy many more years watching their grandchild grow up.
    I am a Wonder-Mom!
    DD#1 - January 2008
    DD#2 - September 2010
  • imageLyndaCarter:
    I am so sorry. Hopefully this baby gives her even more reason to fight and get healthy again so she can enjoy many more years watching their grandchild grow up.

This, and much strength, love and prayers to your mom... 

• When I found out I was pregnant, my mom has been battling Parkinson's for a number of years and lives a 2-hour plane ride away from us.  I had always had dreams of my mom swooping in to help with the new baby and share all of her mothering advice.  It was going to be a wonderful bonding experience for us...I thought.  Well, b/c of her illness, that couldn't happen.  But what I have learned is not to dwell on what she can't do and what we can't share and just thank God for those moments that we do have and thank God that this little one lifts her spirits and keeps her fighting.  I wish you so much strength in dealing with your's mom's illness and send prayers to your momma.
  • Hope your mom's cancer is curable, and she will pull through and feel better soon. My mom has a low-grade lymphoma, and we found that out 2 years ago when my son was 1. I cried for weeks. Her cancer is not curable but she is getting treated and it is not progressing either at this point. So far she is feeling fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagetuxcat:

imageLyndaCarter:
    I am so sorry. Hopefully this baby gives her even more reason to fight and get healthy again so she can enjoy many more years watching their grandchild grow up.

This, and much strength, love and prayers to your mom... 

ditto this as well ((hugs))

PLC 7.16.07 * MDC 10.16.10
    Foundation for Ichthyosis and Related Skin Types
    Educate, inspire and connect those touched by ichthyosis and related disorders through emotional support, information, advocacy and research funding for better treatments and eventual cures.
  • There is no need to feel selfish.. I completely understand what you are feeling, although, I just lost my mother to Alzheimers on March 31st of this year. She was only 61. I found out 2 weeks after she passed that I was pregnant. I know that is her way of giving me something in her place, because we were not trying and the pregnancy was completely unexpected. I do have a DD who is almost 7 that Mom was a HUGE part of her life and my pregnancy. This one is extremely hard not having her around. My advice is..... dont take any day for granted, live each day with her as if it was her last. Tell her you love her over and over.. and hopefully all will go well with her treatment and she can still be a part of your LOs life. One thing I did, since my mom has passed, is that we are naming our LO after her. Her name was Carol and our LO is going to be Caroline. You are in my thoughts during this difficult time.
  • I'm sorry to hear about your moms diagnosis, that must have been really hard news to get.  Your little baby will be a blessing and hopefully a distraction for her while she goes through her treatment - hopefully he will be a "reason" for her to keep fighting (if she ever feels like it's too much work).  Cancer is such a terrible and traumatic thing but if you can keep positive and support your mom you will all get through this.  Good luck to you all.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"