2nd Trimester
Options

I know ppl will freak out, but Intelligender...

Everyone says "There is nothing in your urine that can possibly determine the sex."  How do you know?  Like really, you don't buy that there could be some hormone in your urine that's different depending on the sex of your baby?  That's totally unbelievable?

Not trying to defend Intelligender... I have no idea how accurate it is.  And I know it isn't a pH test so don't say that.  I'm just wondering how everyone knows so much about it. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I know ppl will freak out, but Intelligender...

• Options
    I know 2 people who tried it because they were curious and it was wrong for both, just wait until your u/s it's a waste.
    ?DD 9/17/10 22wks I carry you in my heart.?
    bfp#2 2/14/11? cerclage placed at 13 weeks
    ?DS 9/29/11 36 wks 3 days 8lb 20 1/4" ?
    bfp#3 12/15/12 CP 12/27/12
    bfp#4 2/25/13
    beta#1 51 beta#2 163 beta#3 1,370
  • Options
    imageSoap1:

Everyone says "There is nothing in your urine that can possibly determine the sex."  How do you know?  Like really, you don't buy that there could be some hormone in your urine that's different depending on the sex of your baby?  That's totally unbelievable?

Not trying to defend Intelligender... I have no idea how accurate it is.  And I know it isn't a pH test so don't say that.  I'm just wondering how everyone knows so much about it. :)

I was wondering the exact same thing!  I just didn't say it cause I didn't want to be attacked :).  Is everybody in here a bunch of scientists that have studied urine and gender?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageAutumnmh1:
    I know 2 people who tried it because they were curious and it was wrong for both, just wait until your u/s it's a waste.

Not saying I'm going to buy it, and not saying it's accurate!  But random polls on message boards or "people I know" isn't really giving a good picture of its accuracy, imo!

• Options
    imageAnnabelle0211:
    imageSoap1:

I was wondering the exact same thing!  I just didn't say it cause I didn't want to be attacked :)Is everybody in here a bunch of scientists that have studied urine and gender?

My thoughts exactly :)

• Options
    My husband has a masters degree in biology and teaches anatomy and physiology at a junior college and I had anatomy and physiology in college. We have discussed this and he just laughed as did my OB when I drought it up to him. He said give him the money and he would give me a guess too and likely be more accurate,
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic For Bryce Addison and all of heaven's smallest angels Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I guess that if it was that easy to determine gender i.e. urine, the professional medical community would be using this as a method.  I did ask all three of my doctors...RE, OB and high risk doctor and all three laughed and said that there is nothing in a urine sample that can determine the gender of a child. Therefore, to me, products like Intelligender, are nothing but a scan prying on expectant mothers.  

Gunnar is my IVF miracle...after 4 years of TTC...Two cycles of IVF...Our little dude blessed us with his birth...I thank God everyday for him. Lilypie First Birthday tickers PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Options

Well don't you think that if urine could predict gender then doctors would use that instead of U/S's to determine/confirm the sex?

• Options

I also tried looking on the intellligender website and couldn't find any solid proof of HOW they determine the gender. They seem to leave that part of the science out. If it was SO accurate, wouldn't they be telling you just HOW it works?  Seems strange to leave that off.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebisabelm:

Well don't you think that if urine could predict gender then doctors would use that instead of U/S's?

Fair point!  Again, I do not know how accurate Intelligender is, but I know it hasn't been studied extensively enough for a doctor's office.

I just don't understand everyone's visceral reactions to the idea that you could use urine to predict gender.  Unless you've done studies, how do you know? 

• Options
    imageSoap1:
    imagebisabelm:

Well don't you think that if urine could predict gender then doctors would use that instead of U/S's?

Fair point!  Again, I do not know how accurate Intelligender is, but I know it hasn't been studied extensively enough for a doctor's office.

I just don't understand everyone's visceral reactions to the idea that you could use urine to predict gender.  Unless you've done studies, how do you know? 

Well since they haven't done studys then obviously there is no basis for it to be accurate....so why spend the $$$ when an ultrasound will be able to show you?

• Options
    imagebisabelm:

Well don't you think that if urine could predict gender then doctors would use that instead of U/S's to determine/confirm the sex?

well doctors really could care less what gender your baby is. They don't perform ultrasounds to find out the sex of your baby, it's to scan for medical conditions/abnormalties and ensure proper growth or your baby, uterus, cervix etc.

your 20 week scan is not for gender

• Options
    imageSarahTx5701:
    imagebisabelm:

well doctors really could care less what gender your baby is. They don't perform ultrasounds to find out the sex of your baby, it's to scan for medical conditions/abnormalties and ensure proper growth or your baby, uterus, cervix etc.

This. (if you're wondering what that means.. pull out a dictionary.)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Goblin Gallup 5k 10/30/11 - 36:46
    Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/11 - 35:14
    Festival of Lights 5k 12/31/11 - 33:13
    Love the Run You're With 5k 2/13/12 - 31:58
    Backyard Burn 5 miler 3/11/12 - 1:08:42
    Cherry Blossom 10 Miler 4/1/12 - 1:58:22
    Wine Country HF 6/2/12 - TBD
    Spartan Race 8/25/12 - TBD
  • Options

The reason I don't buy it is because science would have figured it out by now, and if there was, and they hadn't figured it out...they couldn't develop a peestick yet to tell you.

I haven't personally done "studies" but yes, plenty have been done, nothing has been found.

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    imagejay-tea:
    imageSarahTx5701:
    imagebisabelm:

This. (if you're wondering what that means.. pull out a dictionary.)

Big Smile

Gunnar is my IVF miracle...after 4 years of TTC...Two cycles of IVF...Our little dude blessed us with his birth...I thank God everyday for him. Lilypie First Birthday tickers PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Options
    imageAimeeL85:

The reason I don't buy it is because science would have figured it out by now, and if there was, and they hadn't figured it out...they couldn't develop a peestick yet to tell you.

I haven't personally done "studies" but yes, plenty have been done, nothing has been found.

I guess a quick internet search just didn't pull anything up.

• Options

No, I really don't buy that there is something in my urine that's different depending on the sex of the baby.  

• Options
    imageSarahTx5701:
    imagebisabelm:

I totally agree with you. I'm just saying that if urine could predict gender then doctors would be using that and not going by what they see in an ultrasound. But it can't...so they don't

• Options
    Well, I'm a biology major, and there just isn't any science behind any sort of gender test except an amnio or CVS. The gender of your baby is only determined by ONE of the chromosomes passed down from your husband. Your body isn't going to produce any different hormones to gestate a boy vs. a girl. I've also heard of people getting blood drawn at scam places that say if you're having a boy some of the Y chromosomes will cross the placenta and end up in your blood. This just isn't true. The Y chromosomes are found in the nucleus (DNA) of your baby's cells, and entire cells do not cross the placenta. Only molecules of a certain size or smaller. This is how babies and mothers can have different blood types without having incompatibility issues (except in rare cases).
  • Options
    It is simply a money maker.  There are a few products out there geared towards expectant parents that are nothing more than a scam.  Intelligender being one of them.  BabyPlus prenatal education system is another one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    Because DNA analysis is the only sure way to know the baby's gender and there is no baby DNA in your pee.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We decided to not find out the sex, but one day I couldn't control myself.  I BOUGHT ONE!  It reminded me of that old wives tale about peeing on Draino, and I think I wasted a bunch of money.  I felt a little silly after it was all said and done.  I will let you know if it is accurate.  If it did then I am team Blue, but I am not going to let my husband pick out a girl name all by himself!
  • Options
    imageSarahTx5701:
    imagebisabelm:

yes exactly!! Why does it have to be taken so serious. I think its meant to be something to make early pregnancy a lil fun.  If ppl dont want to spend money on it then dont but there are others that may think its fun and dont mind buying the product. I agree I dont know why some get all "omg someone else asked about intellegender".

• Options
    imageSoap1:

Well, I can know because other people have done studies and because the people making the product they claim *can* identify these magical things in urine that nobody else has actually LACK SCIENTIFIC DATA. 

An interesting Google find: https://www.pregnancytoday.com/expertqa/testing/is-it-possible-to-predict-gender-with-a-urine-test-1146/ 

• Options

I guess I just don't know why you'd want to use a tool that you weren't sure was accurate.  You surely couldn't do anything actionable with the results, so what's the point?

But if you want to try it. Godspeed.  Let me know how it works out for you :) It might be an interesting little experiment.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageamandabrown530:
    Well, I'm a biology major, and there just isn't any science behind any sort of gender test except an amnio or CVS. The gender of your baby is only determined by ONE of the chromosomes passed down from your husband. Your body isn't going to produce any different hormones to gestate a boy vs. a girl. I've also heard of people getting blood drawn at scam places that say if you're having a boy some of the Y chromosomes will cross the placenta and end up in your blood. This just isn't true. The Y chromosomes are found in the nucleus (DNA) of your baby's cells, and entire cells do not cross the placenta. Only molecules of a certain size or smaller. This is how babies and mothers can have different blood types without having incompatibility issues (except in rare cases).

Sorry, but you're not completely right.  There is proof that a blood draw can accurately predict gender, so some genetic material must cross the placenta.  But it's a blood draw, and it's just been proven accurate. 

OP - Peeing in a cup is a heck of a lot easier than drawing blood, so Intellegender is hooey and a money making scam.  I doubt there is an easy way to detect Y chromosomes in pee.  Have your husband try it and see if he's having a boy or a girl.  He should be having a boy if it works.

Here's an article about the new blood test, including some of the ethical dilemmas associated with it. 

"Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Options
    imageCeefome:

imageamandabrown530:

Sorry, but you're not completely right.  There is proof that a blood draw can accurately predict gender, so some genetic material must cross the placenta.  But it's a blood draw, and it's just been proven accurate. 

OP - Peeing in a cup is a heck of a lot easier than drawing blood, so Intellegender is hooey and a money making scam.  I doubt there is an easy way to detect Y chromosomes in pee.  Have your husband try it and see if he's having a boy or a girl.  He should be having a boy if it works.

Here's an article about the new blood test, including some of the ethical dilemmas associated with it. 

I don't think they claim that it's Y chromosomes that they're looking for.  Obviously they are not very transparent with what they look for in the pee.  In general, I think we aren't sure whether it works or doesn't.  It could in fact be less than 50% accurate (aka, even worse than a random guess), but who knows.

If someone has $35 and wants to do it for fun, why not?  Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't.  Eventually they'll have to release some data and we'll know for sure.

• Options
    I have no doubt baby's hormones mix with momma and visa verca but I don't think Medically we've cone far enough for an accurate home gender test.
  • Options
    I don't really know much about it but at my NT the other day the geneticist said that it's a scam and there's no way for the test to give you an accurate result.
  • Options

I would think if this guy really figured out how to determine gender based on something in a pg women's urine, he would have sold the idea to the medical community and made millions.  Instead he is selling them in drug stores for $30 a pop.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"