Hawaii Babies
Options

Following a healthy diet?

Man, there is so much information to take in of all this PG stuff...what to do, what not to do and how to eat right.

I usually don't eat terrible and if I splurge it's usually on the weekend.  Now that I found I'm PG, I'm trying to make sure I eat a tad better and I'm having the hardest time trying to keep creative so I don't get bored with my food choices.

What was/is your usual food staples you would have during the day (especially if you ladies work/worked during the day)?  I currently work at a desk job so any food I bring has to be grab and go.  I guess I'm specifically looking for snack and luch ideas.  Breakfast I usuall prepare at home before I leave since I'm so hungry I could eat my arm off by the time I wake up! ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
| Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
| Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
| Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |

Re: Following a healthy diet?

• Options

i'm not so much help with lunch, as we get (a wide variety of healthy) food at work (totally spoiled!)  but for snacks, i try to stick with fruit, a handful of almonds, veggies and hummus, half a bagel w/a little butter, that sort of thing...hrm.  what else...a bowl of soup, marinated mushrooms, beets, avocado, and corn from the salad bar (not together, just 4 separate little piles on my plate, hah), ...

do you cook much for dinner or on the weekends?  can you just bring leftovers for lunch?  are you able to reheat stuff quickly at work?  i tend to find that when i have to buy lunch, it's easy to get unhealthy stuff.  

i know what you mean about being hungry though!  i was constantly ravenous during first tri Smile  i ate about every 3 hours, or i'd start to feel nauseous.

sorry i'm not too much help...

• Options
    Sandra gave some good ideas :)  At work I had much the same; yogurts, raw almonds, cheese, fruit - banana, apple, grapes, whatever was in season.  I also craved bagels fiercely for some reason. :)  Protein was a biggie for me as I did not feel like any meat so I had some almonds handy and also a protein smoothie drink in the fridge at work as well.
    I love Hawaii!

Tara & Ian . 4/24/2008 . The Kahala Planning . Married

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMrsIH:
    I also craved bagels fiercely for some reason. :)  

Me too!  I have a Carnation Instant Breakfast on my way to work and then eat a bagel when I get to work, every day...that's all I want.  I'm craving carbs big time, yikes!

Thanks for the great suggestions!  I do take yogurt and fruit with me, but I think I will add almonds (veggies and hummus sounds great too) because I really don't know how much protein I am getting so I guess it wouldn't hurt to nibble on those when I start to feel hungry. 

My main problem I think is lunch.  I used to always eat a turkey sandwich everyday (on most occasions), but now I'm not so sure I should be eating that like I used to.  I have been taking some leftovers to work with me too as we do have a microwave in our office which is handy.  I'm just not sure if I'm eating too much or too little.

Thanks ladies :)

• Options
    I was also staaarving in the first tri so when you feel hungry and you have good balanced food on hand you should eat :)  I really doubt you are eating too much, especially if you're as hungry as I was in the first tri (I remember around 6 weeks I was SO hungry but it did taper off).  Lunches were always tough for me too, soup is also a good one if you make a big pot at home and freeze it?  It's better in the fall months though maybe.
    I love Hawaii!

Tara & Ian . 4/24/2008 . The Kahala Planning . Married

• Options

honestly in the 1st tri, I ate whatever kept me from being pukey smurf!  I ate a lot of pita chips (I love Stacy's Cinnamon Sugar) or baked chips.  I also like Kashi TLC cookies (Kashi has a lot of good snacks).  Now deep into my 3rd tri, I can eat pretty much whatever so I try to bring nuts (I found 100 calorie packs of a walnut/almond mix), dried/fresh fruit, yogurt, occasionally cheese.  I dont' really bring it to work, but at home a frequent snack is nutella & pretzels.

In the beginning I couldn't eat too much sweet stuff so I definitely looked more to carbs in the very beginning. 

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imagevanilla15:

honestly in the 1st tri, I ate whatever kept me from being pukey smurf! 

this.

I was more worried about diet after the puke feeling tapered off.  I LOVED bagels (convinced myself it was ok to eat 2 Embarrassed a day as long as they were organic whole wheat ones - HAH).  My fav topping was/is pesto cream cheese.  I always had apples, celery and almond butter in the fridge at work.  Lunch was interesting - usually brought left overs from dinner the night before.  I have never enjoyed lunch meat so I didn't have to worry about that.

• Options

sweets completely didn't appeal to me either - i ate a lot of bagels too!  (well, half bagels.  but sometimes i'd go back and get the other half if i was still starving, hah) which is funny, b/c i usually don't eat bagels at all.

but in first tri, i figured as long as i was hungry, i would eat, as long as i was eating healthy.  I felt like i was eating all.the.time - but my weight gain was in line, and actually tapered off a bit after first tri when my eating habits went back to more or less normal, so i wouldn't worry about it too much - just listen to your body Smile

if you really want turkey sandwiches, they should be fine as long as you microwave the turkey first (to steaming) before eating it.  or, if you can get carved roast turkey instead of deli meats, even better!  maybe you can just roast up a hunk of turkey breast (or roast/poach/grill chicken breast, for that matter) and make the same sandwich? 

• Options

oh and homemade granola!  I would just shop the bulk section at the grocery for nuts, oats, dried fruits, and add honey, molasses, and flax and bake to crunchy. 

my friend gave me this book Feed the Belly I can't say I used a TON of the recipes, but the overall advice was helpful and written in a way that really makes sense.

one funny story - I'm usually the health/food police in my house.  I'm usually into organic, fresh/local, mostly veg foods.   DH has acclimated.  One night the ONLY thing I could think about was coco krispies.  I'm not even sure I was allowed to have those as a kid.  But anyways, he dutifully goes out to get them and brought home organic, gluten free koala crisps.  He was so proud of himself. BLECH - if I so clearly wanted chocolate cereal I really meant the real deal, HF corn syrup laden chocolate-y goodness.

• Options
    imageSanHawaii08:

sweets completely didn't appeal to me either - i ate a lot of bagels too!  (well, half bagels.  but sometimes i'd go back and get the other half if i was still starving, hah) which is funny, b/c i usually don't eat bagels at all.

THIS! I never eat bagels but it was one of the first things I ate that settled well when I could finally eat again, so I kept wanting to eat it.

I would always microwave deli meats when using it in sandwiches and wraps. Most of the time, I had leftovers for lunch. For snacks, I ate nuts, dried fruits, yogurt, and wheat thins =) I also ate a lot of clementines (cuties).

Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • Options
    imageMauiWedding08:

one funny story - I'm usually the health/food police in my house.  I'm usually into organic, fresh/local, mostly veg foods.   DH has acclimated.  One night the ONLY thing I could think about was coco krispies.  I'm not even sure I was allowed to have those as a kid.  But anyways, he dutifully goes out to get them and brought home organic, gluten free koala crisps.  He was so proud of himself. BLECH - if I so clearly wanted chocolate cereal I really meant the real deal, HF corn syrup laden chocolate-y goodness.

hah!  Big Smile  again - what a guy Smile

• Options

For snacks, I ate a lot of apples with natural peanut butter or apples with sliced cheese -- good way to get extra protein. I also ate a ton of oranges for some reason. I would also take string cheese, dry cereal, or trail mix with me when I was on the road.

I ate sandwich meat, but like pp said, most times I microwaved it first. I didn't have any food aversions, but if I had a craving, that pretty much trumped the healthy eats. Thankfully I didn't have too many of those, though. Big Smile

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thank you ladies for the great tips! :)  Sounds like I'm on the right track and eating a lot of what everyone else is or has been doing.  Sometimes I just feel like I'm not eating enough or I'm eating too much. 

Embarrasing to say this but the Dr. said she wanted me to only gain 20 lbs Embarrassed  Ummmm...fat chance lady!  I'm a tad heavier than what I normally should be, but not that much to only gain 20 lbs...this is going to be tough. 

Thanks again for all your tips and suggestions :)

• Options
    imageMauiBride2008:

Embarrasing to say this but the Dr. said she wanted me to only gain 20 lbs Embarrassed  Ummmm...fat chance lady!  I'm a tad heavier than what I normally should be, but not that much to only gain 20 lbs...this is going to be tough. 

I'm sure that is what many providers would have said to me - don't worry about it, but just try to stay healthy! 

I did gain more - and somewhat regret it - BUT I felt that I ate healthy foods and felt GOOD - which is more important than any number.  My MWs gave a big speech about healthy habits and after the first one gave me a crappy speech about BMI at my first appt with them (around 20 weeks after getting kicked out of the first practice) I told them I wasn't interested in being weighed so we compromised - they made me weigh myself at the beginning of each appt without supervision  and I didn't have to tell them the numbers unless there was a huge leap.  What a relief.

• Options
    imageMauiBride2008:

First about the food, I eat whatever sounds good, otherwise my stomach is in knots. I can't stand ice cream and I usually love it... actually the thought of it makes me kind of sick feeling... sad but true. I would eat what you feel like, what sounds good and what stays down. Is cream cheese and saltines a healthy lunch? Um no but it's going down pretty darn good so it keeps going down Smile

As for the weight gain, I was super in shape when I got PG with Bella and I gained 26 lbs while exercising and eating super healthy. I was on track to gain 30 if I went full term. No telling with this baby, I started out about 8 lbs up from my pre-preg weight with Bella... I'm in all honesty, not that worried about it. Yes I will start exercising when I feel better but for now, it's being lazy, enjoying this pregnancy and eating what I can, when I can. Embrace it, don't go crazy but enjoy it!! For sure, enjoy it! Don't worry about every morsel that goes in your mouth, LOVE it!! It'll all balance out in the end as long as you don't go cray.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"