Hawaii Babies
Options

robbi - used tripp trapp q's

hi robbi Smile what should i look for in a used tripp trapp?  I see them on CL fairly regularly, usually around $160.  Is that a decent price?  they range from being 2 or 3 years old to a bit older than that, some no longer have straps, etc.  anything in particular I should be looking for?   thanks so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: robbi - used tripp trapp q's

• Options

LOVE this baby purchase!  

I always saw them on CL too, but knew they probably all got snapped up before I would even be able to get up there to look/pick up.

From the research that I did I found out there was a substantial change sometime around 2006? - this change makes the old/new incompatible with each other in terms of the babyset (rail) attachment that you use for younger children.

The good news is the original baby rail is like $15 if you can find one (compared to the "new" version that is $70).  I think the baby rail is important.  Jack is really good at sitting up but the rail keeps him from leaning over.  He hasn't grasped the concept of things being out of his reach so he repeatedly tries to propel himself toward something - as if sheer effort exerted will get that glass of wine across the table within his reach, haha - I am glad the baby rail keeps him somewhat in place.

One other major change, and I'm not sure when this happened, is the change to a 5 point harness.  The old ones just have a waist strap that connects to either side of a middle strap.  The new ones have straps that also go over the shoulders.  I haven't tried out an older version, but the shoulder straps don't actually do much (Jack can still lean fully forward) because the shoulder straps stem up from the lower back rail.  So I'm not sure the old strap would be a deal breaker for me.  And come to think of it I think you can buy new straps separately now - but keep that in mind as a way to negotiate down.

One final change - the "new" models come with leg extensions (in coordinating color of course).  Basically small plastic sliders you can attach to the back of th bottom legs to really ensure the baby won't tip.  No comment on this yet because I didn't attach - Jack is too small for this to be a worry of mine and from reading other boards the likelihood of tipping is pretty small - mostly just a concern in areas where the chair can't freely slide - it definitely glides on our wood floors.

phew, hope that helps.  All that said - you can get a new one in the original colors (wood tones and white and possibly red) for $265-20% at albeebaby.com free ground ship and no tax - Not sure if diapers.com is still price matching but could be worth a try.  

the baby set is sold separately (as is the cushion - which is totally not necessary) - if you can find a used one WITH a baby set for a little under $200 that would be a great deal.  No babyset I would probably pay up to $175 for the color I wanted if it was in perfect shape (original price subtract a little more than 30%) - but that is just me.

I had diapers.com pricematch the seat 229 with a free cushion (promo from baby bungalow or something like that) and the baby rail to 56 (albeebaby.com) and felt pretty good about the deal.

• Options
    imageMauiWedding08:
    No babyset I would probably pay up to $175 for the color I wanted if it was in perfect shape (original price subtract a little more than 30%) - but that is just me.

wait - maybe you are suppose to look for things to be 25+% off the best price you can find?  In which case $150 would be my goal?  who knows.  good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    super, SUPER helpful - thank you *so* much for taking the time to write this all down!!  I didn't realize they go so quickly on CL - but I think you're right, the lime green one i saw 2 days ago is gone.  I'll keep trying, but thanks for the head's up on albeebaby!
  • Options
    if you check the baby bargains message board, they'll post deals there sometimes (i can keep an eye out for you)... i have seen it on sale for around $160-175 before...and, since baby doesn't need a high chair for several months after he/she is born, i would not rush to buy something off CL just yet unless it is in excellent excellent condition and a super price. if you needed it right away it would be one thing but since you have time i would take your time to bargain hunt. just my 2 cents :)
  • Options

thanks Jaime! Smile

(btw, i got the coupon for the dove bar mini's too - thanks again!!  can't wait to get them)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"