Birth Stories

Frustrated!

Hey everyone! I just need to vent!  So I am 34 weeks with my first child and have been taking Bradley Method birth classes. The goal is to deliver without the use of any unnecessary medical interventions (or pain medications).  This concept is something truly important to me and my fiance, and believe that, if anything, it doesnt hurt to at least TRY to go through labor "all natural".  Since the "cat was let out of the bag" about our birth plan, I have heard nothing but negative and sarcastic comments regarding our decision (i.e. don't be a martyr, 'yea we will see how far that gets you', 'are you serious?!')...this should be a time of joy and celebration and of course positive vibes from all involved...ESPECIALLY, (or at least you would think) from people with experience with childbirth!!

Re: Frustrated!

• It can be frustrating when everyone thinks that they know best. If this is what you have sought out to do then go for it. They're not the ones delivering.  Sad thing is it only gets worse. Once the little one is here, everyone thinks they have the best parenting advice to give. Anyway thats another story in itself. Back to your situation- I had a friend deliver last month. She went in and it was too late for pain medication and had to have a natural birth. She was terrified but after it was over she "you know, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be." Then I have another friend who has had three children and says that she wouldn't have it any other way but to go without pain medicine. I can't say first hand since I had an emergency C-section and they had to gas me, but best of luck. I just keep telling myself, I'm the mom, I know best.

• Your body - your choice and I wouldn't hesitate to tell any naysayers that exact thing.  If they, by some miracle of science, get the opportunity to birth your child, then they can do it their own way.  Stick out tongue
  • Loading the player...
  • I heard the same stuff when I was pregnant with my first and it always pissed me off.  I ended up having a scheduled c/s with him, but I planned a VBAC with my second.  We took Bradley classes and were prepared for a natural birth.  I still heard the same thing!  Very frustrating and annoying, I know.

I do want to say though, that I had my daughter without anything (no epi, no IV, no advil, nothing) and it was fabulous!  I would not describe birth as painful.  It was uncomfortable and very very intense, but not painful.  I think that woman have a fear of birth and that makes it more painful.  If you relax and let your body do what it does (like you learned in Bradley), you will be fine.  Since having my daughter, I have heard a quote that goes something like there is a secret about childbirth and it is that it doesn't have to be painful.  I think that is so true.

I started to tell my family that if they didn't have anything postive to say about my birth goals then we just weren't going to talk about it.  I wasn't going to listen to their negativity.  If people keep bugging you, you could always just tell them you are planning an orgasmic birth.  That would shut them up I would think Smile

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • That does sound super frustrating. I hated it when people were giving me that kind of negative talk when I was expecting and planning a natural birth, too.  So unnecessary.  You may find some more support on the Natural Birth board!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Good luck. I like the idea of going natural although I am leaving the option open if something happens or I cant take the pain in the end. Dont let anyone get you down on it though, only you can decide what does and doesnt work for you.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• Good reply for unsolicited advice:

"Thanks for your comment. I firmly believe I know what's best for me and for my baby."

Repeat the exact same script over and over if necessary. 

• A friend of mine used the Bradley method and she loved it!  She recommended the book and my husband is already reading it and doing his homework!  She says that if you believe in the methods described in the book and use them it, you'll have a wonderful experience!  Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"