Illinois Babies
Options

$25 to page pediatrician?

I have a newborn and chose a pediatrician based on my md's rec (and good reviews online). Just tried to call ped office with a question and was told there is a $25 fee to page the md after hours. I've never heard of such bs! Is this typical of ped offices in downtown chicago?

Re: $25 to page pediatrician?

• Options
    Our pedi is in Lake Forest and charges the same thing.  I think it's a fairly legitimate fee because it probably keeps people from paging doctors with things that could wait until the office is open. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our pedi charges the same thing.  We go to Town and Country Peds. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes- this seems to be the going rate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our pedi is on the northside, and we are not charged anything for calling the after hours line and having the on-call pedi paged. 
    TTC #1 since 6/08. Cycle #6 - BFP 12/22/08, EDD 9/3/09, DD 8/14/09 at 37w1d
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2 since 6/11
    me=36 - low AMH, DH=38
    BFP #2 - 8/31/11, EDD 5/10/12, M/C 9/23/11
    BFP #3 - 3/4/12, EDD 11/14/12, CP 3/11/12
    BFP #4 - 5/9/12, EDD 1/19/13, CP 5/11/12
    BFP #5 - 8/22/12, EDD 5/5/13, CP 8/24/12
    IVF#1 - January 2013 - EPP/Antagonist - 7R, 3M, 2F, 3dt of 2 8-cell embies
    BFP #6 - 2/3/13, EDD 10/15/13, DS 9/18/13 at 36w1d
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I've heard that this is common, but our pediatrician doesn't charge anything for after-hours calls.  In fact, he encourages us to call if we're concerned about anything rather than waiting and worrying.

His office is in Ravenswood, so not exactly downtown, but not the suburbs either. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I have been charged once by our pedi's office but not since then and we have called after hours more than once.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd say the majority of pedis in Chicago charge for this.  There are a few that don't.
  • Options
    i've never paid that and my pedi's have never discouraged me to call after hours. I used a very popular pedi group in Streeterville (downtown) and one with Rush U. I would switch! Who wants to pay $25 on top of being worried for their kid?
  • Options
    we looked into switching, but the few pedis who don't charge in downtown refused new patients (even @ 2wks old) unless you register before the baby is born. Oh well. We're told insurance *might* cover the page fee. Can't wait to move next year!
  • Options
    We got to Lakeview Peds in the city and they do not charge- I think it's BS too!
  • Options
    I work in a ped's office, we don't charge but I think we should. Mostly because there are many parents that call after hours only because it's more convenient for them to not have to wait for a nurse or doctor to call them back in the 2hr window they are given during office hours. Obviously if it's an emergency (which will be determined by the doctor) go for it but if you're calling for a Tylenol dose because you misplaced the paper it was written on, that's BS. Parents need to take more responsibilty. I myself have 2 children and if I decide to call after hours saying that my kid has a fever for three days and its Friday but I want to come in Saturday morning because it's easier I definately should be charged!
  • Options
    This is the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard in my opinion!  Hopefully, you wouldn't call the pediatrician if it weren't important to you, let alone have him/her paged.  I personally would find a new pediatrician.  I would NEVER pay for someone to be paged.  That is just someone who is greedy and obviously not out there for the true benefit of the child - just the paycheck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    How do you like town and Country Peds?
  • Options

imageBride7-7-07:
    This is the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard in my opinion!  Hopefully, you wouldn't call the pediatrician if it weren't important to you, let alone have him/her paged.  I personally would find a new pediatrician.  I would NEVER pay for someone to be paged.  That is just someone who is greedy and obviously not out there for the true benefit of the child - just the paycheck.

I absolutely disagree.  The problem is that people would call over small issues that aren't real issues.  Maybe it depends on the size of the practice, but with a larger practice, I expect to pay for after-hour calls.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"