1st Trimester

How to get rid of pregancy bloat???

So far I've been drinking a lot of water and staying away from salt.  Any or tips or tricks?  I feel pregnant already & my baby is only the size of a poppy seed!
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How to get rid of pregancy bloat???

• Wal Mart brand stool softeners made mine disappear! :)
  • Honestly? Just embrace it. Bloat is part of the "fun." Your body is going through a lot right now, and you have to just be willing to go with the flow.

I'm at 5 weeks and had to go out for a BeBand this afternoon.

• Loading the player...
  • have a baby?

bloat is a part of this lovely process called pregnancy - by the time you've moved on from bloat, you'll have a real belly to negotiate.  embrace it...love it... :)

DS - June 2009
    DD - February 2011
  • You'll get rid of it in...ohh...9 months :)

I haven't found any rhyme or reason to mine really.  Except pooping sometimes seems to help. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've got quite the bloat going on, too. 

Let me know if you find anything that works for you!

• Have the baby.  But then you just have a flabby pooch left in that area, so I'm not sure which is worse. 
  • image~adamwife~:
    Have the baby.  But then you just have a flabby pooch left in that area, so I'm not sure which is worse. 

Yup.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Mine comes and goes, and seems to go hand-in-hand with the constipation. When it's here, I'm stuck with it, though.

I found that exercise -- while not a "cure" -- does help me feel better about myself.  And adding a few stomach-hiding outfits to my wardrobe makes it matter less to me.  Luckily it's summer and I haven't had to face my favorite jeans yet ...   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The bloat apparently comes from your bowels loosening. (Gross).  I think technically that is what causes the morning sickness. You're in so much pain because of gas that goes NO WHERE that you feel sick and barfy.  Or maybe it just makes morning sickness that much worse!  I've decided to say goodbye to size 4...and I'm only 7 weeks!  I don't know if you're allowed to take stool softeners either...I wouldn't do it.  Those things mess with your system, which can't be good for baby!!  But I'm the idiot that took Pepto at week 4/5 and apparently that's the DEVIL!
  • imageIveyatlsu:
    The bloat apparently comes from your bowels loosening. (Gross).  I think technically that is what causes the morning sickness. You're in so much pain because of gas that goes NO WHERE that you feel sick and barfy.  Or maybe it just makes morning sickness that much worse!  I've decided to say goodbye to size 4...and I'm only 7 weeks!  I don't know if you're allowed to take stool softeners either...I wouldn't do it.  Those things mess with your system, which can't be good for baby!!  But I'm the idiot that took Pepto at week 4/5 and apparently that's the DEVIL!

Yes. Stool softeners, diuretics, and such are not supposed to be taken at all. They say on the bottle not to take when you're preg. unless told by a doctor. I mean it's not a sure fire way to cause harm but it potentially can.

• I'm just nervous at getting outed at work due to bloating.  I was hoping to hold of until 12 weeks but if I keep getting bloated like this I'm going to have to tell early & I'm not looking forward to it :(  If it wasn't for my job, I wouldn't care as much.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageOvenLovin:

imageIveyatlsu:
    The bloat apparently comes from your bowels loosening. (Gross).  I think technically that is what causes the morning sickness. You're in so much pain because of gas that goes NO WHERE that you feel sick and barfy.  Or maybe it just makes morning sickness that much worse!  I've decided to say goodbye to size 4...and I'm only 7 weeks!  I don't know if you're allowed to take stool softeners either...I wouldn't do it.  Those things mess with your system, which can't be good for baby!!  But I'm the idiot that took Pepto at week 4/5 and apparently that's the DEVIL!

Yes. Stool softeners, diuretics, and such are not supposed to be taken at all. They say on the bottle not to take when you're preg. unless told by a doctor. I mean it's not a sure fire way to cause harm but it potentially can.

I'm not sure this is 100% true. My Dr. gave me samples of a prenatal vitamin called Prenexa that actually contains a stool softener.

Also, I've heard that Colace is perfectly safe during pregnancy.

You're right about Pepto though, that's definitely a no. Not to mention, Pepto makes constipation worse. 

• I haven't been constipated at all and the bloat that came on at 5 weeks has never gone away. Get used to it. :-)

• I was nervous about telling my boss, even tho everyone at work knew and was supportive.  I just wanted to tell him once I knew it was real.  The benefits are AMAZING tho for Pregnancy!!  Someone else actually told my boss, but I was quick to assure him I was not leaving!  I've never been the type of person to think Moms should work, but we can't afford to not have 2 incomes right now!  They can't fire you because you're pregnant...so I wouldn't worry too much (not like that will cause you any less anxiety!)
  • Aww I like mine. I keep rubbing it and pretending it's a bump. haha

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Are you serious?  Wait until your 12 weeks and the bloat is really there.  Get used to the idea you will gain 20-40+ lbs in the next few months.  Just eat healthy and exercise.  But really, you need to get over "getting rid of the bloat".  Retaining water and larger BB comes with the joys of pregnancy.
  • imageCTGirl30:

Mmmm, I'm not sure you can really "get rid" of it. It's part of being pregnant.

I find that regular excercise helps me feel better in general (I walk twice a day with the dog and hit the gym with DH on wknds) - it helps keep things moving as far as bowels go, which can help you feel less bloated in general. But yes, avoiding extra salt & drinking plenty of water are both good things to do, too.

Otherwise, just accept it as part of the new little life growing inside you.

Ok this motivated me to go to the gym this morning. Thanks! 

• Regular exercise seems to be helping. I try to do either an hour of prenatal yoga or 30-45 minutes of walking every evening - if I miss a night, I can definitely tell the next day. And lots of water of course.
  • I'm due for my period any day....but I've been havin stomach pains and definite stomach bloating and gas for about 2 or three days-this post gives me hope!
    BabyName Ticker
  • A little depressed about the bloat and not being able to do anything about it.  My prenatal has stool softener in it.  It doesn't do anything for the bloat, but at least I'm not horribly constipated anymore.

If you're worried about coworkers catching on because of bloat... just talk about food to everyone.  Hopefully they'll just think you gained a few pounds and won't dwell on it.

BFP#1: 7/23/10, EDD 4/1/11, MC/DNC 9/29/10(14wks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP#2: 1/12/11 CP (6 Weeks)
    BFP#3: 6/26/11, EDD 3/4/12, Natural MC 8/5/11 (10wks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • As others have said YES bloating is just part of it. 

Talk to your Dr.  they will give you a list of Medications that are OK to take while Pregnant if they don't ask for it, you will need this list to refer to so you won't stress so much about what you can and cannot take. 

If the "bloat" is caused by constipation Stool Softeners will help ( I've been told), and yes my Dr. told me that I should take them if I was constipated since straining while going #2 is not a good idea (especially with the increased possibility of hemorrhoids)

If the "bloat" is caused by Gas (as mine was) it can be painful, GasX can help and worked very well for me (also recommended by my Dr.)

For me by my 20 week the gas and bloating was basically gone, though by then I pretty much looked the same as I was "showing" and could no longer say "it's just gas".

Hope this helps

for SuzyQ and all who have lost

Pregnancy Ticker
  • That gives me hope because I am 14 weeks and still super bloated and was wondering when it goes away and is replaced by the bump.
  • You can also try eating more high-fiber foods, which should help with constipation.  But other that what you're already doing, it's just part of pregnancy.  Some of it is actual bloat, the rest is the organs in your abdomen shifting to prepare for your uterus to expand into the abdominal cavity.  
  • why are people getting upset about bloat? its a good thing! it means your body is doing baby stuff!

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• I think my bloat will be gone in about 6.5 months, lol.  Until then I am just stuck with it!  It's part of being pregnant. I don't think you can ever get rid of all the bloating that comes with being pregnant. 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• For when I just can't go, I prefer good old fashion prune juice. I got a six pack of the tiny cans. Its the perfect serving size and its perfectly safe. Its on the list of approved things to use during pregnancy from my Obgyn's office. I just drink it the night before. 

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker 

November Siggy Challenge
    Christmas Story
    May 2014
  • awc1986 said:
    why are people getting upset about bloat? its a good thing! it means your body is doing baby stuff!
    I don't know but considering that this thread is from 2010, I think the OP has solved the issue by now ;)
  • awc1986 said:
    why are people getting upset about bloat? its a good thing! it means your body is doing baby stuff!
    I don't know but considering that this thread is from 2010, I think the OP has solved the issue by now ;)
    Ah damnit...I never catch these things before I post.  They really need to close old threads.  LOL.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"