Military Families

TRICARE Coverage Question

Hi ladies, I have a TRICARE question. MH recently re-signed with the Army Reserves. I will have coverage as of 9/1/2010. Currently, I have no coverage and I ended up having to go to the ER this past week (with no coverage, the bill ended up being massive). My questions is: is there a chance that they will retrospectively cover me for the ER visit being as it was an emergency and the application had already been submitted? I am guessing that I am SOL but I was hoping that maybe someone had some insight on this subject. TIA.

Re: TRICARE Coverage Question

• DH and I were married June 12, 2004.  I was enrolled in DEERS around the 21st of that month.  I was told that I would not have coverage until August 1st of that year.  I was told that if I needed any care, I would have to go to the MTF.  If I went to a civilian hospital or doctor, I would be out of luck.  The only place I could get my prescriptions covered until August 1 was the base.

Maybe things have changed since then.  I don't know. I can tell you if things are the same though, you probably are SOL.  It doesn't matter that the application is in.  Your benefits don't start until 9/1/2010.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think as soon as you are enrolled in DEERS, you are automatically enrolled in Standard Tricare.  We had to just fill out an application for Tricare Prime.  But, that was when DH went from Reserves to AD.  Google it, maybe you can find an answer.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Mother to Gavin, born September 11, 2007, and Magdalena, born March 21, 2009, Angel Baby MC February 13, 2010, Cynthia, born August 28, 2010 and gone September 17, 2010, Gabriella, born and gone August 28, 2010, and Abigayle, born March 12, 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLissa832:

DH and I were married June 12, 2004.  I was enrolled in DEERS around the 21st of that month.  I was told that I would not have coverage until August 1st of that year.  I was told that if I needed any care, I would have to go to the MTF.  If I went to a civilian hospital or doctor, I would be out of luck.  The only place I could get my prescriptions covered until August 1 was the base.

Maybe things have changed since then.  I don't know. I can tell you if things are the same though, you probably are SOL.  It doesn't matter that the application is in.  Your benefits don't start until 9/1/2010.

That's what I'm expecting to be the case. I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles, right?

• I might be wrong, but I thought that you would be covered from the day he re-inlisted. I know when DH went to basic, I was covered from the day he left even though I didn't have a card or anything. I would call and ask. good luck!
  • NSLNSL member

In my experience, if you were eligible for Tricare benefits at the time of your ER visit, the bills will be covered to the extent possible.  If you weren't, though, you're SOL.

FWIW, DH and I were married in late June 2003 and a week later I landed in the ER with a serious infection.  I hadn't been enrolled in DEERS yet, but when we called Tricare to ask them if I was covered they said yes.  My coverage was retroactive to the day we signed the marriage license even though I hadn't been entered into the system yet. 

• Since your DH is Reserves, not Active Duty, you have TRICARE RESERVE SELECT, not Standard or Prime.

You are PAYING for your coverage, not being eligible for a entitlement/benefit.  So the date of coverage is dependent upon the first payment.

You could try calling yourTriWest to confirm, but I think you are SOL.  

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Your huge ER bill is one of the truly unjust things about our current healthcare system. There is a multi-tier system of how much people are charged. If you have insurance coverage you get a big break in the bill. If you have no coverage your fees are much higher.

My "guess" is that you're going to have to pay the bill. But you should go IN PERSON to the hospital financial office with paperwork copies showing your DH's status. At the very least, they should reduce the charges to what Tricare would pay for - which is going to be considerably less than the original bill. It could save you hundreds of dollars.

Do call TriWest to determine your eligibility and find out what they authorize for the services you received. Tell the hospital that is what you can pay. Everything is negotiable nowadays. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"