Birth Stories

Does everyone push the same way?

During every contraction, my doc had me push for 10 seconds, take a quick breath and go right back into pushing for 10 more seconds, and then take another breath and push for 10 more seconds. Does everyone push this way? Just curious.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Does everyone push the same way?

• I did 3-10 second pushes per contraction. There was only one that I didn't push through, and a couple at the very end that I pushed more than 3 times. I think it's pretty normal, because just one push per contraction would make you be pushing (I'm sure) a lot longer than you would if you did it the way you did.
  • I just pushed when I wanted to push.  I had specified with my midwife beforehand and in my birth goals, that I wanted spontaneous, mother directed pushing though.  I think that the way your dr had you push is very common.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageShansBride:
    I just pushed when I wanted to push.  I had specified with my midwife beforehand and in my birth goals, that I wanted spontaneous, mother directed pushing though.  I think that the way your dr had you push is very common.

I agree that it is common the way you had it done. My doula told me that the "coached pushing" came into effect more with epidurals being used since you can't completely feel your contractions and know when to bare down yourself. I didn't have any meds so no one told me anything my body did the work and I only bared down maybe twice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"