South Florida Babies

Tips for 1st day of school?

Ok, so we decided to put Alexis in the 5 day a week school.  She will go from 8:30 - 12:30.  I'm really happy with the decision and feel comfortable there.  But, I'm definitely having anxiety about someone else being in charge of her well being!   And I'm also nervous about how she will react to me leaving her with strangers.

So, how should I get her ready for her first day?  What kinds of things should I say to her so she understands what will happen?  Also, what's the best "goodbye" strategy? 

image image

Re: Tips for 1st day of school?

• I would totally talk it up about how much fun she is going to have fun playing and making new friends. Make a big deal about how cool it is and how she's such a big girl for going to school. Let her pick out a backpack and/or lunch box that she likes so that she gets even more excited about taking those to school. As for a good-bye strat my best advice is make it quick. The longer you linger around the harder it will be on both of you. Tell her that you will be back in a little bit. Good luck! She'll do GREAT!
  • Ditto Sam!!  I remember reading once that when you leave, tell her you love her very much, she will have alot of fun and you will be back in a few hours! 
  • Loading the player...
  • **Be forewarned - Montessori can be a little strict on the transition, so don't be alarmed if they take control and don't let you drag out your goodbyes.  A big montessori fundamental is independence.  That being said, they will probably have a place for you to be able to watch the classroom where Alexis won't be able to see you.  The second day may be worse than the first, because the first may catch her off guard.

Definitely tell her that you will be back really soon and that she will have a lot of fun things to do while she is there.

Tell her that she will have lots of new friends and that you can't wait for her to tell you about her adventures!

• bettina - they told me today that I can only stay for 15 minutes, I'm ok with that.  It makes sense not to drag it out.
    image image

• wow 15 min seems like a lot to me. They made us pretty much put their stuff down and hug them goodbye very quickly. Today we did meet the teachers and that is when we are allowed to stay. That being said I agree with Bettina that it is usually not the first day that is hard...it is after that when they realize you are leaving. I am sure she will transition great though. I think a lot of times it is harder on us.

My school has a BooHoo Breakfast on the first day for the parents lol :)

Good luck!!!

• Just tell her the day before all about school., the kinds of things she'll be doing there, and how it's just for kids and mommies don't go, but mommies will be back after lunch to pick them up. Make the goodbye VERY quick! 15 minutes is way too long. Seriously, just a quick here is your teacher, have a great day, I love you, see you after lunch is the best route. Any longer and she'll start to get attached to the idea of you staying in there with her! Good luck!!!!
  • I agree w/ everyone else. Do not draw it out. When I dropped Zachary off the first day I actually wanted to get out really fast because I was too afraid I'd start crying in front of the teacher - LOL. I almost did!!!

A couple days before he started, we told him all about it and how much fun he was going to have, the things he'd do, etc. We got his backpack and clothes and told him this was going to be for camp (since he started this summer).

On the first day I dropped him off, introduced him to his teachers, hugged him and told him I would return after he took his nap. Even though he is little and probably doesn't get it yet, I always still tell him "I will see you at 3pm" or whatever time I'm getting him that day, since his dad drops him off 99% of the time now.

He definitely cried but the teachers pretty much grabbed him right away (since he was latched on to me) and redirected him with a ball, or toy, or something, and I slipped out of the room. I agree w/ pp that 15 min is way too long so just make it very quick. After 3 days Zachary was TOTALLY fine. Now we drop him off either at school or at the gym's kid care and he just runs off to play.

It is a great feeling knowing that your child is having a good time while you do something productive for yourself and your family. :):):)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• imageMrsLeanna:
    bettina - they told me today that I can only stay for 15 minutes, I'm ok with that.  It makes sense not to drag it out.

Well, I don't have much experience in this as a mommy, but working at a preschool for four years before I started teaching I learned that 15 minutes is too long. :( I would always tell parents the faster the better when drop off is concerned. If you do want to have a few minutes with her before ou go, it is best to do it outside the classroom. Or if for some reason she really wants you to see something in the classroom do it at pick up time.

Good luck! And remember, the first day of school will be harder on YOU! She will have tons of fun! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Good Luck!!

Nicky will be going 5 days a week, starting in three weeks. He is so excited! I keep telling him about all of the other children that will be there and all of the toys.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"