Postpartum Depression
Options

new to meds - a Q?

I am 10 days in just starting anxiety meds for the 1st time (effexor). I am feeling MUCH better during the majority of the day already which I know is promising since my doc told me it would probably be about 2 weeks to notice any significant improvement. I feel like each day is getting better and better; less obsessing and worries that I am going crazy :)

My Q is, I take my med in the a.m. and that is still my worst/most anxious time for the first few hours of being awake. I know cortisol is hihgest then, but I wake and my heart is racing for no reason (before I can even start worrying; so it feels like it's chemical/hormonal like I am not even feeding into it yet). My med is an extended release so it provides 12-16hrs of coverage but for the first 2 or 3 hrs I am still very nervous/uncomfortable; no appetite but not panicking. Is this something anyone else has experienced? It seems like as my med wears off while I sleep (I am sleeping pretty well again) my cortisol spikes for the morning and I need to wait a few hours before my med builds up enough to combat it effectively...

I am on the lowest dose but I really don't want to increase or change it up until I see where I am at for a few weeks. I am already at a point where if this is as bad as it gets (a few nervous/anxious hours in the early a.m.) and being relaxed, calm, functional the rest of the day and night I am OK with it since I was anxious/not eating/sleeping only 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the responses :)

Re: new to meds - a Q?

• Options
    Give it some more time to build up in your system. Your doc is right it does take about 2 weeks to fully go into effect. Once in your system for a long period of time then you shouldn't have those problems.  I'm no dr but I have taken effexor. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"