Postpartum Depression

Questions?

First off, I'm not currently suffering with PPD, but I really need some PPD-related advice. Sorry if this is the wrong board to be posting on...

My Mom suffered from PPD with all three of her children. She's also Bipolar.

Anyway, throughout my entire pregnancy (this is is my first), my Mom has been freaking out that I'm going to have PPD. She is practically planning on it. I tried telling her that it's mostly hormonal and that there's not much I can do now to 'prevent' it', but that I'm not going to sit around and wait for it to happen! Of course I realize the possibility, but come on. DH and I have read up on it and have prepared ourselves for the possibilities... I think that's enough?

Every single time I talk to her on the phone this is mentioned. If I had a bad day or I said something... she'll immediately tell me that's a sign of postpartum depression. It's driving me INSANE. I feel like she's going to get her 'wish', because by the time I have this LO I'm going to be so djhdslfdf over all this that it might just happen.

We were planning to move closer to my in-laws, and my mother actually made some huge story about me up to my MIL so that she wouldn't want me moving there. She explained herself by saying 'I didn't want you moving away when I'm the only one that will be able to help you through your PPD'. Wtf? That is insane.

I guess my questions are: Have any of you dealt with this? Did your mothers have issues with PPD? How should I handle this? I'm scared that she's going to ruin my chances of NOT dealing with PPD. Is that irrational?

VIEW OUR PREGNANCY BLOG!
Freyja Marjorie Belle
11.11.10 - 5 pounds 15 ounces

Re: Questions?

• My mom did not have PPD. However, in regards to your mom, I think you need to sit her down and have a serious talk with her. Tell her she needs to stop with the PPD talk, period. If you get it, you get it. If you don't, you don't. Her talking about it isn't going to change that but it might drive you apart in the meantime. GL!
  • Ditto to the previous post. 

You should sit down with mom and tell her that the conversations regarding PPD need to stop.  I would probably say something along the lines of "I appreciate your concern, but the talk about PPD is making me more anxious than I need to be - and it isn't healthy.  If I do get PPD, DH and I are prepared and I have talked to my dr.  I will appreciate your support post birth regardless, but I don't want to talk about PPD anymore." 

It might sound harsh, but I wouldn't worry about how she feels about it.  This is your time - your pregnancy - and your life.  It is SO smart that you and DH are preparing yourselves, that is a great thing.  That way, if you or DH start to see signs, you can react quickly.  

I hope you find comfort that you are being PROACTIVE instead of falling into denial, or "It can't happen to me".  

Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"