D.C. Area Babies
Options

Recs in MoCo for: OB / hospital / midwife / birthing center?

I'm considering switching healthcare plans, and while I don't need an OB now, but the plan is that I will before the end of 2010.

I'm covered under military healthcare but really didn't like any part of my OB experience through it with DS.  I had a civilian for pregnancy with DD and birth and for the first half of pregnancy with DS.  It was so much better.  I had unmedicated births with both of them, and ideally I'd find a place that has OBs and/or midwives that work through a birthing center associated with (or actually inside) a hospital.  Like I've always wanted to try a water birth, but the military staff looked at me like I had two heads when I just asked about delayed cord cutting.  And I was told they see about five unmedicated births a year (how that's possible, I don't know).  So...really looking for a practice with a more open mindset and options.

I live in southern Montgomery County, and I think the closest hospital is Holy Cross (for reference).  I'd appreciate any suggestions so I can start looking into whether they'd be covered by the modified healthcare plan I'm considering.  Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Recs in MoCo for: OB / hospital / midwife / birthing center?

• Options

Hiya! As far as I know, there are no free-standing birth centers in MoCo, just the one in the District and BirthCare in Alexandria.

I delivered with Midwifery Care Associates who deliver at Shady Grove and had a great experience. (You can labor in water but I think not after membranes rupture and no delivery there).

For Holy Cross, I think other ladies can provide references, or I'd try the doulas at By Your Side Birth Services for recommendations for unmedicated-friendly providers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    There aren't any birth centers in MoCo, unfortunately. I looked into this when I got pregnant, too. I'm delivering at Holy Cross with an OB and doula (there are a group of doulas associated with Holy Cross). My OBs seem to be very supportive of natural birth, and they're used to working with the doulas.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have any experience with doulas/midwives etc. but I did delivery at Holy Cross and had a great experience.  But the mother/baby suites at Shady Grove are much nicer.
  • Options
    I'm pretty newly pregnant (yay!) so I don't have recs for anything other than my OB/GYN, who I've been going to for about a year. She works out of Capital Women's Care in Silver Spring, and delivers at Holy Cross. I think the other docs at her location probably do the same. I'd highly recommend checking them out--great "bedside" manner, very personable, very good in the exam room, and very open to questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"