Health & Exercise
Options

Max heart rate?

Hi everyone - I'm new here. I had my first appt today and the u/s put me at 6w5d. I run a lot of 5ks and 10ks and plan to keep doing that as long as I can. I also just got certified to teach cycling classes, and I'd like to still do that if I can.

My doctor said exercise is fine of course, but she advised me to keep my heart rate at 140 or lower.

Have you received similar guidance? I read that the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology threw out the guidelines of staying under a 140 heart rate in 1994. I'm obviously not going to go against what the doctor said, but I'm just wondering if anyone heard differently.

I wear a HRM when I exercise, but my HR is usually around 160 if I'm running fast and higher if I'm sprinting. I'm going back to the doctor in two weeks so I'll ask more questions then.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Max heart rate?

• Options

I've heard that if you already be exercising, then keep it up and hrtrate of that is a myth. You do know your body and if you need to slow down, then slow down.

I got another half in Octo and two tris the end of the year. Some of the nurses I work with say to look out if there' blood, or cramping,, if not, then all is good.

I know my hrtrate gets above 140, and went to u/s and all was good. Baby is healthy and right on target. So, you know your body.

kelly

• Options

I thought the heart rate measure was debunked as well.

I was very active prior to BFP. In addition to staying hydrated,  I used the breath test when working out during pregnancy. I kept my intensity at levels where I could comfortably carry on a conversation. With a modified pace,  I was able to race (1/2s, 10ks, 5s)  up until the month I delivered. 

GL to you! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

That's my plan too,, keep working out, running and stuff up until birth! Actually have my first full marathon in Feb!!! Even if I walk the whole thing,, I can do that in 6 hours! I signed up for that way before baby.

Woohoo!!

Fitmomsforever!

kelly

• Options
    Thanks for the advice and good luck on your upcoming races. I signed up for a 1/2 on march 20 ... i'm due april 8. we'll see how that goes! i also signed up way before i knew i was pregnant. i figure i can at least walk a little bit of it, and if i need to call it quits, at least i'll have a pretty obvious reason why.
  • Options

I find it really sad that so many doctors (it seems to be the majority) are not up to date on exercise research. Staying active and healthy during pregnancy is SO important. I never discussed heart rate with my doctor.... I guess I just don't feel that a 50 year old, heavy set woman will understand a marathon runner.

I read a wonderful book "Exercising Through Your Pregnancy" by Dr James Clapp that completely, logically and scientifically, with well documented research disproves the 140 heart rate myth. This book was written about 10 years ago, its not new information. I also read a pregnancy book written by ACOG (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology) that my doctor gave me that encourages exercise, even for those who have not been previously very active. Exercise is healthy and GOOD for you when pregnant! Exerting yourself and having a higher heart rate does NOT cause miscarriage. If you run or cycle or do aerobi exercise your baby is not going to fall out. :)

Like Kirkette, I do not monitor my HR, but I go by how I feel. If I am working too hard, I know it and I slow down. I am still racing, faster than my easy pace, but slow for me and it feels good. My baby is doing great!

HTH

imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I find most drs that don't exercise don't know anything about it, let alone throwing pregnancy in the mix!

I exercised throughout my pregnancy when I felt well.  I was careful not to get overheated, since that can cause damage to the fetus in the first trimester.  So, like the pp said, do that talk test, if you can do that, you're within a safe zone.  Make sure you drink lots!! This also will help to regulate your body temp.  I never went by the HR rule, and even my dr who doesn't know squat about running, said it was a myth.  I did wear a HR monitor and it was so hard to keep my HR below 140!  I did it out of curiosity. 

Go by how you feel.  That is the best indicator.  Good luck with your pregnancy! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageKK1974:

I've heard that if you already be exercising, then keep it up and hrtrate of that is a myth. You do know your body and if you need to slow down, then slow down.

I know my hrtrate gets above 140, and went to u/s and all was good. Baby is healthy and right on target. So, you know your body.

THIS! I've also been working out before I got pg so I just continued what I am doing. I wear a HR monitor everytime I workout and do not let it go past mid 150s. I do spin 2x a week, yoga and strength training. I am on my 30th week and the baby's doing great!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"