Postpartum Depression

Breastfeeding & meds?

I EBF my 4 month old DD.  I had severe PPD 2 years ago with my son, and while I don't think I have PPD per se this time around (DD is a very easy, happy baby, and I was way more prepared for what to expect, etc.) I do have depression/anxiety issues.  I have an appt. setup with a psychiatrist and based on my prior history, I'm fairly sure that at some point they will suggest going back on meds.  With DS I didn't take them until I weaned him (at 4 months).  I hate taking any meds, even tylenol, while BFing so I guess I just need to hear advice you've gotten on the safety of BFing and taking the meds.  I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I really struggle with this and want to at least give it some thought.

Thanks in advance 

Re: Breastfeeding & meds?

• Most anti depressants are safe however if u have major anxiety like I do the meds that treat it cant be used for breast feedings. Try something lite like zoloft
  • I EBF and have been on the generic of Zoloft, Sertraline, for about 4 months now.  It is the most safe antidepressant to take while BF.  Kellymom.com has wonderful advice on BF and drugs that are safe, including a long list of antidepressants.  It has helped tremendously with me and I haven't noticed any changes in my daughter.  Very little to none of the Zoloft gets into your milk.  HTH and GL!  If you need it to be the best mommy, then you gotta do it :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"