Babies: 3 - 6 Months

How should a diaper fit?

LO is probably about 14lbs (it's been a month and a half since she has been weighed) 23in long and I wearing a size 2 diaper.  I feel as though her diapers fit her well, but I question what I am doing because I hear other babies her age/size in different sized diapers (size 3).  A friend of mine has her baby who is half the size of my baby also in a size 2 diaper.  I just want to be sure that I am putting her in the appropriate diaper and doing it correctly.  When I do them up, I try to make it so that it is snug around the waist, but not tight.  When I change her after picking her up from daycare, I also notice that they have the diapers pulled so tight at the waist, I feel that it would make it very uncomfortable for her.  It makes it so that there are also slight red marks on the tops of her thighs where the sticky part is pulled so tight.  Is it my fault for having her in a too small diaper, or are they pulling it too tight, or am I just keeping them too loose? 
Thankful to be home full time with my two little children, daughter 2 years and son 4 months. www.freedomathometeam.com/kkaz

Re: How should a diaper fit?

•  If you aren't have leaks (and the diaper is not leaving red marks) then I'd say you're doing just fine!!

I personally like diapers to cover the belly button or be just under it and go half way up the back. I also like the leg enclosure to not be rubbing against the top of his thighs. It just prevents blowouts from any angle lol. Gavin is 18lbs and in a size 4 for these reasons.  I secure his waist probably somewhere in between what you are describing. Not loose that you could easily get a finger in there but not tight that his belly feels constricted.

• If there are red marks, that's a sign they are too tight--either try putting them on looser or get a bigger size.

If you're not hving any poop explosions, then I'd say you're just putting them on too tight.

TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • P.S. My LO was  just about 14 lbs when I moved her to size 3s, so you're not all that "off". My LO was much taller-- she was 26 inches by the time she was 2 months old, so she's tall for her weight, which means she's more likely to explode poop out her diapers if they are too small, even if she doesn't hit the weight limit!

TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • LOL, I could have written this post. DS is 16 lbs and about 26 1/2 inches long. The size 2 diapers seem to be okay when I put them on him, though I notice they aren't sitting quite as high in the back, but when he comes home from daycare they have the tabs meeting in the middle. I think that is too tight and his belly pooches out over the waistband.

We are going to talk to the girls at daycare since we haven't had any blowout or leak issues even overnight (knock on wood). Once this box of size 2s are done we will move him to size 3s.

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
    18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
    BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
    BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

• My DD is 20 weeks, and we are just now moving into size mediums.  She can wear both small and medium fuzzibuns, but small bumgenius are definately too small (our daycare diaper) and we're only using mediums now.

I think that if there are red marks around the legs, then the diaper is being pulled too tight.  Only you can tell though if it's being pulled too tight because it's too small, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"