Special Needs

no more simply-thick, ? about bottles/nipples

DS was on nectar-thick feeds from his due date until last Monday. He's 5 months now (3 mos adjusted) and feeding times are a total mess now. We're doing regular breast-milk (no thickener) and using gerber bottles with slow-flow nipples. DS gets so much milk on his face and his clothes, we've resorted to putting the nipple in his mouth, counting to 5, then taking it out in order to keep the mess down.

I think he's such a disaster because he's used to the thicker feeds.

I am trying to transition to more breastfeeding, but am not worried about nipple confusion.  Any suggestions on bottles and/or nipples that can keep the mess down?

Re: no more simply-thick, ? about bottles/nipples

• We are still using simply thick to thicken liquids.  But, when he was using a bottle we would change the flow of the liquids by using different nipples (Dr. Brown)...stage 1 is slower than stage 2 etc....So maybe changing to a different nipple (I realize you are using slow-flow...but maybe different brands are different) or maybe you can thicken it just a tad to slow the rate down until he learns to drink it better?  GL! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The slowest flow we found with dd were Dr Brown preemie we used them for a year with dd
  • Loading the player...
  • We bought the Playtex VentAir with slow flow nipples...and they seem to be working so far! I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"