Northern California Babies

Can a humidifier set off the smoke detector?

We've had a humidifier going in DS's room for a couple of weeks now with no problems.  This morning I was sleeping in DS's room (after his 4am wake up call) and about an hour after he went back to sleep and I fell asleep, the smoke detector in his room went off.  It did about 8 beeps and then stopped.  Scared the heck out of me, but thankfully DS didn't wake up.  I don't know if maybe I shut the door more than normal and the humidifier had an effect on the detector, or if that's even possible.  We have a ceiling fan going in his room, too.  and I changed the batteries in the detector not too long ago, so I don't think it had anything to do with that.

I hope our house is still standing when I get home... 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Can a humidifier set off the smoke detector?

• is the humidifier directly under the detector? Is the detector hard wired into your home security system or thru th building?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLexi & Orion's Mommy:
    is the humidifier directly under the detector? Is the detector hard wired into your home security system or thru th building?

the smoke detector is on the wall above the door and the humidifier is pretty much in the center of the room.  the smoke detector is battery operated and is just attached to the wall.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • id go with its a low battery and just replace it. Then if it happens agian its the location of the humidifier.
  • "A smoke detector has heat sensors. That's what "trips" it actually. Excessive heat. So yes, a humidifier can set it off if its hot in the room. Or the possible moisture can cause false trips by shorting the interior circuits."
    Mama to Z - 5.5 years, G - 3.5 years, & M - 1.5 years.
  • imageMama_v2.0:
    "A smoke detector has heat sensors. That's what "trips" it actually. Excessive heat. So yes, a humidifier can set it off if its hot in the room. Or the possible moisture can cause false trips by shorting the interior circuits."

thanks.  Perhaps I should have googled this first! It did feel a lot like Hawaii in his room this morning...  

• not every smoke det, has a heat sensor. And it would have repeated the incident periodically, if it was the humidifier. THe only customer i have ever had that had this issue, of humidity setting off heat detectors, are in college campuses, where there is 50 hot showers going.
  • imageLexi & Orion's Mommy:
    not every smoke det, has a heat sensor. And it would have repeated the incident periodically, if it was the humidifier. THe only customer i have ever had that had this issue, of humidity setting off heat detectors, are in college campuses, where there is 50 hot showers going.

Hmmm...ok.  I'll change the batteries and move the humidifier a bit further away and hope it doesn't happen again.

• Mine used to go off in the kitchen when there was a lot of steam, like when I poured a pot of pasta out into the colander, or even when I took an extra hot shower.  This was in a small apartment.  So, seems like it's possible, though the humidifier isn't that hot, is it?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"