Health & Exercise
Options

Pregnant: calories vs workouts

I'm getting so confused about how many calories I should be eating. I want to gain 25-35lbs overall and stay healthy during pregnancy. I'm a healthy weight right now and prior to getting pregnant I was eating well and working out a lot but not tracking calories.  

I'm burning about 2000-2500 calories a week and I want to make sure I don't lose weight but I don't want to gain too much either. I feel like lately I've wanted to eat more when I'm not even hungry so I decided to start tracking again. Babyfit recommends that I eat 2050 and 2350 calories a day but I'm not sure if that's right because it seems a little high and it's not factoring in my workouts.

How many calories a day worked for you? How much were you working out? Thanks! 

Re: Pregnant: calories vs workouts

• Options
    I am working out 4-5 days a week, burning about 300-400 calories per session, so around 1500 - 2000 calories. I have been eating around 2000 calories per day. At 28 weeks, I have gained 10 lbs. I am 5'9" and was 135 before pregnancy. I am on track to gain about 25 lbs. My midwife is happy with my weight gain, baby is measuring right on track and I feel really good, so in my book, 2000 calories is working for me!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I never kept track - I ate when I was hungry and stuck with (mostly!) healthy choices.  I definitely ate more while pregnant but not a ton more (mostly added a large mid-morning snack aka second breakfast post workout).  I gained 28 pounds last time.

Personally, I think it's better just to make good choices and follow your hunger cues instead of obsessing over numbers.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagencbelle:

I never kept track - I ate when I was hungry and stuck with (mostly!) healthy choices.  I definitely ate more while pregnant but not a ton more (mostly added a large mid-morning snack aka second breakfast post workout).  I gained 28 pounds last time.

Personally, I think it's better just to make good choices and follow your hunger cues instead of obsessing over numbers.

Thanks. I know what you mean about not obsessing over the numbers and agree with you, that's why I don't normally track calories. I'm just struggling because I know my body as far as losing weight, and maintaining a healthy weight, but I have no idea when it comes to gradually gaining weight. Some days I burn 1,000 calories with a long run (I'm training for a half marathon) and I don't know how much of that I'm supposed to be eating back so I get enough fuel and don't eat too little. I'm not trying to be too restrictive but some days I feel like I'm eating more than I need because I haven't found a balance. 

• Options

I would ask your doctor. Mine told me 1800-2000 calories per day would be great but I don't really keep track of how many calories I burn per workout (doc knows my workout routine though). Of course it's just a guide line if I am starving I will have a healthy snack, etc.

• Options
    imagelittle_stars:
    imagencbelle:

Thanks. I know what you mean about not obsessing over the numbers and agree with you, that's why I don't normally track calories. I'm just struggling because I know my body as far as losing weight, and maintaining a healthy weight, but I have no idea when it comes to gradually gaining weight. Some days I burn 1,000 calories with a long run (I'm training for a half marathon) and I don't know how much of that I'm supposed to be eating back so I get enough fuel and don't eat too little. I'm not trying to be too restrictive but some days I feel like I'm eating more than I need because I haven't found a balance. 

Obviously I'm not an expert but I think you need to eat back any calories you burn while working out - pregnancy is not the time to lose weight (as you were a healthy weight to start with) - plus you are hitting the point in pregnancy where you need an extra 300-400 calories a day just for baby.

If I had to guess, I'm sure I was eating at least 2500 calories a day (sometimes more) - and that was with pretty routine workouts (not 1000 calorie ones!).  

If you know what to eat to maintain a healthy weight while not pregnant, eat that plus an extra healthy snack for your "pregnancy calories."  If it's a hard workout day (although I'd guess that the definition of hard workout will start to change now that you are further along), eat extra just as you would not pregnant.

I think as long as you are making good food choices and eating because you are hungry (not because you are pregnant and "can eat anything"), your weight gain will be fine.  It seems that most people get into weight trouble when they use pregnancy as an excuse to eat twice as much as normal.  Listen to your body ;-)

• Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies, you've been really helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"