Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Bumbo at restaurants?

I saw a couple with a 7 mo old DS and a Bumbo leaving a diner. I asked how they liked using the Bumbo at a restaurant because I had considered it. They said they sit DS on top of the table in the Bumbo. Anyone else do this? Is it safe? Is the restaurant manager cook with it?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***

Re: Bumbo at restaurants?

• technically not safe, but we've done it. The manager was totally fine with it, and it was super convenient.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is why they did a recall on them a few years ago...people were putting their babies on tables/chairs and they were falling.

However, if you stay right with him, I don't see why it would be a problem...

I wouldn't personally do it.

• Loading the player...
  • No way, esp at 7mos. Bumbos were recalled when dopey parents put their kids in them on elevated surfaces. The kids arched their backs, fell over backwards, and cracked their skulls. Literally. Some died.

We put DD2 in her Bumbo, but only on the floor, preferably near padding. Even at 4mos, she arches so much she's almost flipped it.

• we've done it a few times. she sits in in on the table right infront of us. i know you're not technically supposed to put it on elevated surfaces but she's never unattended or not within a few inches of me or DH.

the restaurant staff as never commented on it. i don't think anyone minds. if anything, people are always commenting on how cute it is.

• why couldn't you put it on the seat?  Too low?  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  •   I know Olive Garden doesn't allow you to use highchair flipped over - they require you use the sling.  I would think some places will not allow the bumbo if they know how unsafe it is.

Get one of these instead.  Several companies make them at different price points.  It folds up flat and some even have a  little bag for travel.

Chicco Caddy Hook On Chair - Red - Chicco  - Babies"R"Us

• The problem with the clip-on highchair is that your kid will end up hanging out in the aisle with plates of hot food being passed over their head, unless you're seated at a table and you can put them on the inside next to you.
  • We always take the bumbo with us when we go out to eat.   We are always right there and when he does start to get fussy we take him out and hold him.  I think it is safe as long as you are watching. We have never heard a complaint, actually we have heard many many many people say it was a great idea. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageMrsJWeaver:

I know Olive Garden doesn't allow you to use highchair flipped over - they require you use the sling.  I would think some places will not allow the bumbo if they know how unsafe it is.

Get one of these instead.  Several companies make them at different price points.  It folds up flat and some even have a  little bag for travel.

We have a hand me down one of these. We couldn't use this today because of where our table was located. I've never used it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • imageWonderWoman27:
    why couldn't you put it on the seat?  Too low?  
    I'D think a seat would also be dangerous wouldn't it? There he's more likely to hit the floor if he tips than on the table even.
  • imageMrsJWeaver:

I know Olive Garden doesn't allow you to use highchair flipped over - they require you use the sling.  I would think some places will not allow the bumbo if they know how unsafe it is.

We have one of these, haven't used it yet though. My SIL loved it with my niece.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It is dangerous to put a baby in a bumbo on an elevated surface.  I would not do it.
  • imagejillianz78:

This is why they did a recall on them a few years ago...people were putting their babies on tables/chairs and they were falling.

why would they do a recall on them if parents are using them unsafely?

you don't hear of a recall on bikes if kids are riding them off of a roof. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageyourmomwreckedmybike:
    imagejillianz78:

This is why they did a recall on them a few years ago...people were putting their babies on tables/chairs and they were falling.

The recall was because a picture on the package showed the Bumbo on an elevated surface. The recall was to change the outer cardboard packaging. 

• No, I wouldn't mostly because I would never leave him sitting in a bumbo for that long... not ergo-dynamic enough for me to feel comfortable.  We have one so we do use it but only for 5 minutes every day or so. 
  • imageMissAmethyst:
    imageyourmomwreckedmybike:
    imagejillianz78:

The recall was because a picture on the package showed the Bumbo on an elevated surface. The recall was to change the outer cardboard packaging. 

ah. that makes sense. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"