Breastfeeding
Options

How soon after delivery did you BF?

Title speaks for itself Stick out tongue

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How soon after delivery did you BF?

• Options

6 ish hours

Drew had some breathing problems and had to be taken to the NICU within 20 minutes of birth.  He was finally stable enough to BF 6 hours later.  He latched like a champ.

It's best to BF as soon as you can after delivery, but if complications prevent it, try not to worry!  We still did just fine even with the long delay.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Within the first hour.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This is so sad but I honestly don't remember. :( That whole day was a blur thanks to all of the lovely drugs. But that makes me really sad I don't remember what-so-ever the first time I breastfed my daughter!

As pp said its best to right away. I know we let both the grandmas in first who were waiting right outside the door. Even though I didn't do asap I never had any problems with her latching or anything.

• Options

Within the first 2 hours.  I had a c-section and BF him in recovery with a nurse helping. 

• Options
    Immediately.  I had a c-section so as soon as I was stitched up and moved back into my recovery room my OB told me I should try to breastfeed ASAP before LO fell asleep.  So that's what I did.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

As soon as you can after you give birth. I had a preemie taken to the NICU, so I had to pump and wait weeks before I could put her on the breast.

god bless,

Jillian

• Options

imagewihakayda:
    Within the first hour.

This.  I let him lay on my stomach looking at me for a bit then latched him on.  It helps your uterus contract to push everything out and start shrinking.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know exactly, probably 5-10 minutes.  My hospital is pro breastfeeding and put LO to breast ASAP!
  • Options
    imageghdst1:
    Immediately.  I had a c-section so as soon as I was stitched up and moved back into my recovery room my OB told me I should try to breastfeed ASAP before LO fell asleep.  So that's what I did.
    This was the case for me as well.
  • Options

Within 10 minutes.  I had GD and DS2 had blood sugar issues.  We nursed and then he ate a little formula to get his levels good. 

With DS2it was a few days since he was a preemie.  The nurse didn't even mention pumping for about 6 hours. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    30 minutes
    BFP #1 10/27/2009 ~ DS1 ~ BIRTHday 7/16/2010 ~ med-free Bradley birth @ 40w5d
    BFP #2 1/22/2012 ~ DS2 & DD ~ BIRTHday 9/13/2012 ~ unplanned C-section @ 38w1d
    BFP #3 5/4/2015 ~ EDD 1/7/2016
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I know it was shortly after being stitched up. I honestly don't remember it. DH was awesome and got it on camera though. He only recorded a couple minutes, but I love him for thinking to get it on film.
  • Options
    As soon as they got her cleaned up / weighed (and me stitched up from very minor tear), so 15-20 minutes after her birth?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersimage
  • Options
    within 30 minutes, after he got weighed and cleaned up. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I tried to BF DD 4 hours after she was born.
  • Options
    DS has to go to the NICU 10 minutes or so after he was born. He was stable about 2-3 hours later. We *tried* at three hours but he would not latch.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

A few hours with DD1. I had a c-section after labor and failure to progress, and my epidural wore off during the c-section. They loaded me up with drugs at that point, so I'm a bit fuzzy on time details. I remember bfing her in the recovery room.

With DD2 it was around 1 hour. She was a repeat c-section. I was taken directly back to my room after the surgery (about 45 minutes after she was born) and nursed her sometime soon after that.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

It was two days after for dd (they sent her to the nicu and I pumped....and frustratingly got NOTHING).

Immediately after with ds. They flopped him on me and did all tests while he was nursing.

• Options
    About 45 minutes after birth with my first
  • Options

imageAdrienne4.11:
    within 30 minutes, after he got weighed and cleaned up. 

This is me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Within 30 minutes of delivery, after my dr. finished stitching me up.  I was lucky and she latched right away.
  • Options
    Maybe 10 minutes after? It was as soon as they finished his tests and I had been stitched up. I delivered at a very pro-breastfeeding hospital.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Almost immediately.

• Options
    About 90 minutes.  I had an unexpected c section and had some bleeding issues and severe nausea so it took me a little longer to be "with it" enough to try.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageHolly88:
    I know it was shortly after being stitched up. I honestly don't remember it. DH was awesome and got it on camera though. He only recorded a couple minutes, but I love him for thinking to get it on film.

I wish we thought of this!  Maybe for this baby :)  We nursed 30 minutes after birth.

• Options
    Almost immediately, she was put right on my chest and found my breast on her own very quickly
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"