Health & Exercise
Options

Moms...how long before you got back in shape?

Hi ladies, I'm still in my first trimester and due to some complications my dr doesn't want me exercising right now, I'm hoping once I hit the second I can. Anyways, how long did it take you to get back into shape and your pre-pregnancy weight or at least close to it? Any suggestions? Thanks :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Moms...how long before you got back in shape?

• Options
    hahahahaha oh sorry its really not that funny. Im still not back to my pre pregnancy weight.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had a super easy pregnancy and was able to run until my 31st week, when relaxin/hip issues stopped me.  I gained 27 lbs total, 20 of which came off w/in a week or so.  I'm still a few over my pre-pregnancy weight at 10 weeks out, but I've also exercised exactly zero discipline about what I eat, and I just made it out for my first 3 mile run last weekend.  The constraint on my exercise now is time, especially since we don't have a jogging stroller w/ a carseat adapter such that I can take DD out for a run.  I was physically ready to exercise from 3 or 4 weeks on.  I think a lot of it has to do w/ how you carry the baby, though, and how your body bounces back, much of which seems to be genetic or otherwise beyond one's control
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is definitely a question that will differ for every mom.  With my 1st, I lost a big chunk of the weight right away, but even with diet and exercise it took me a full year before I got back down to my original weight.  Many women told me it would take a full year, but I was just hoping they were wrong, but thats how it was for me.  I also breastfed though for 14 months, so I wasn't able to push myself as much as I would have liked to during work-outs, it would make me dizzy.  The good news is I felt in better shape a year after having my first then I ever did... Finding time to workout and eat right can be tough with a new baby... and zero help like I had... but I found out pretty quickly if there is a will, there is a way.... Good Luck!!
  • Options
    Also still not back to pp weight.  If I were you, I'd try to stay active/in shape during your pregnancy because I'm sure it will make it easier to bounce back.  I was out of shape to begin with, which is probably the source of me not being able to lose the weight.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I worked out throughout both pregnancies. With the first I was back into the same shape/weight at 12 weeks, the second one (a c/s) it took 5 months to get to my weight and then a little longer to get my shape back.

With the first, I was able to walk right away and do cardio on the elliptical by 10 days, and Pilates/Yoga. Did weights after 6 week PP visit.

With the c/s (second), I was cleared for cardio at 3 weeks, and then everything else again at 6 weeks.

• Options

Even if you can't really exercise right now, there are a few "pregnancy exercises" that you can do that really help you through pregnancy. Some of them are here. I know they don't look like much of anything, but if you can keep a little movement and flexibility through your no exercise time, it will really help how you bounce back in the long run.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

With my first - I was in a panic about not losing the weight. I was very disciplined and actually felt better than ever before  5-6 months. I also kept up with exercise through 1st and 2nd trimesters (The 3rd I literally laid in the bed and ate cookies)

After 2nd baby, didn't work out at all and never dieted until I realized I was still carrying 10 -12 extra at baby's 1st birthday. When I got serious I got back to size quickly.

I will say this - Even though I got back to pre-pregnancy SIZE, not sure shape ever was the same. In some ways it was better, and others just different. Now with  3rd, I am trying hard to still exercise but I'm on track to still gain a ton. I am just hoping that keeping it up will help body remember after baby comes. Good Luck.

• Options

I was down to my pre-pregnancy weight about a week after giving birth and I was back in shape at about the 8 week mark. Now, at 3 months, I'm in better shape than I was before I got pregnant. I have to say that exercising throughout my pregnancy helped immensely in bouncing back. i ran 5 times a week up until week 28. When running got too uncomfortable, I did the spin cycle up until the day I delivered. I'm also have a small frame so I'm sure genetics has a lot to do with it too.

My advice would be to exercise while pregnant (even if it's just walking) and eat small/healthy meals throughout the day.

Have a great pregnancy!

• Options

All I can say is breastfeed....it helps you loose the weight!! You burn so many more calories by breastfeeding. With my first I lost all the weight within the first few weeks....the second child it wasn't as easy.....but I also gained 45 lbs.

Every person is different, but in my experience women that breastfeed loose it a lot quicker than ones that don't!

Good luck!!

• Options

image4maddison:
    hahahahaha oh sorry its really not that funny. Im still not back to my prepregnancy weight.

THIS!

I gained about 30lbs and still have about 10 pounds to go.  I run 3-4 times a week and eat pretty healthy but it just does not want to come off at all!!!   

• Options
    imageKelly1109:

image4maddison:
    hahahahaha oh sorry its really not that funny. Im still not back to my prepregnancy weight.

THIS!

I gained about 30lbs and still have about 10 pounds to go.  I run 3-4 times a week and eat pretty healthy but it just does not want to come off at all!!!   

I'm in this boat too. I gained 39 pounds total, and the first 20 fell off in the first couple weeks, but this second 20 is killing me! I've been running every other day since I was cleared at 6 weeks and eating much healthier. So far I've lost two pounds. Yep, two pounds in almost 6 weeks. It is VERY discouraging.

I was in great shape prepregnancy and figured I would just bounce right back, especially after I could exercise again. Not the case. I've heard the year to take it off thing too, and it's looking like that might be true for me.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

6 months for the first two kids.  I'm just under 4 months out with this 3rd baby, but I feel like it is taking longer.  Maybe just that it's a differnet time of year.  With the other kids, I was back to pre pg size (with a lot of hard work, though) by summer because I had them in Dec and Jan.  This one came in April and I look horrible.  I really think I'm just older and the 3rd went so late, got stretch marks with this one but not the others, etc.  But i'm not at 6 months yet so we'll see.

I breastfeed, eat healthy and am getting back into running.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"