Parenting
Options

S/O dyslexia question

From what I understand or have read about dyslexia, it is associated with individuals with normal to above normal intelligence.  Do you think the reason it is not associated with low intelligence is because it is harder to diagnose in those individuals?  Meaning, its hard to tell if those people have dyslexia or if they just have a lower intelligence? 

My wheels started turning about it and it seems to make sense to me, but I have no teaching experience, so I thought I'd see what others thought. 

DS1 10-06 and DS2 9-08 and baby #3 EDD 9-05-12
imageimage

Re: S/O dyslexia question

• Options
    imageYodajo:

Do you think the reason it is not associated with low intelligence is because it is harder to diagnose in those individuals? 

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

And also, parents/teachers of "smart" kids/people are more likely to pursue evaluation and diagnosis for the child/adult than parents/teachers of not-so-bright people.

• Options
    I'm a special education teacher (have been for almost 19 years) and it is often more associated with higher level intelligence.  I don't think it is because it is harder to measure with more average intelligence.  Dyslexia is hard to dx anyway.  But really it is when the person/child should given their IQ be able to complete tasks but despite this level of intelligence can't due to these issues.  I'm not wording it like I want it to come out but I was dx with dyslexia in college.  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageoparcm:
    I'm a special education teacher (have been for almost 19 years) and it is often more associated with higher level intelligence.  I don't think it is because it is harder to measure with more average intelligence.  Dyslexia is hard to dx anyway.  But really it is when the person/child should given their IQ be able to complete tasks but despite this level of intelligence can't due to these issues.  I'm not wording it like I want it to come out but I was dx with dyslexia in college.  :)

So then the answer is yes, because what you're saying is that stupid people aren't and can't be expected to spell correctly, but you've been trained in the PC way to phrase it like you did.  The real answer is that if you're stupid, people expect less from you.

• Options
    imagegibs:
    imageYodajo:

Do you think the reason it is not associated with low intelligence is because it is harder to diagnose in those individuals? 

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

And also, parents/teachers of "smart" kids/people are more likely to pursue evaluation and diagnosis for the child/adult than parents/teachers of not-so-bright people.

I guess you could also argue that it may be an economic issue where parents with the means to pursue a diagnosis do so or students who live in better school districts have more resources available to them.  Those who don't, get labeled as being of lower intelligence.

imageoparcm:

I understand what you're saying, but do you understand what I am saying in reference to someone with lower intelligence having  a hard time getting dyslexia diagnosed since they may be dismissed right away since they have already been established as someone with lower intelligence?  Maybe there is a lack of standard or bar of reference for that group?

I concede to your opinion because you are more expert than I am in this area, but in theory, it makes sense to me.

ETA:  Good Lord, look at that neverending, rambling sentence!  Haha!  I even lost myself by the end of it.

imageimage
  • Options

Dyslexia is a learning disability in reading.  To be diagnosed with a learning disability, a large discrepancy needs to be shown between intelligence and performance.  For example, if a person is performing low, but that's all they have upstairs, that's not a learning disability. So because of that, if you are diagnosed with dyslexia, you would pretty much need to have at least average intelligence.

I did just read today that people diagnosed with dyslexia perform better on critical thinking skills overall than others, most likely because they are constantly trying to overcome and go around their impairment, so they are used to thinking using more than one path.

• Options
    imagegibs:

imageoparcm:

So then the answer is yes, because what you're saying is that stupid people aren't and can't be expected to spell correctly, but you've been trained in the PC way to phrase it like you did.  The real answer is that if you're stupid, people expect less from you.

Big Smile  Dyslexia is an umbrella dx and encompasses a whole lot more than spelling things correctly.  Dyslexia impacts ppl differently depending on their particular issue. 

• Options
    imagegibs:

imageoparcm:

Big Smile  Dyslexia is an umbrella dx and encompasses a whole lot more than spelling things correctly.  Dyslexia impacts ppl differently depending on their particular issue. 

• Options
    imagegibs:

imageoparcm:

• Options

Agreeing with wildfloweragain - 

It is about the discrepancy between non-verbal intelligence and performance with regards to certain skills.

If a person has an average IQ but poor reading skills, you know that the deficit is not in intelligence, it is specifically in reading.

If a person has an average IQ but poor verbal language skills, they have a weakness with expressive language - not intelligence.

If a person can't talk well or read well and has a low IQ, the reason they can't talk/read well is because of the lack of intelligence - it is a more global problem.  And it is debatable if progress can be made, as there is not a gap (or once the gap is closed) between specific ability and IQ.  The question continues to be debated - can you increase an IQ with intervention or is your IQ your "max out" level of functioning?  And once you get verbal, reading, etc. skills up to IQ level, is the child/person performing at their optimal level?

• Options
    imageYodajo:

From what I understand or have read about dyslexia, it is associated with individuals with normal to above normal intelligence.  Do you think the reason it is not associated with low intelligence is because it is harder to diagnose in those individuals?  Meaning, its hard to tell if those people have dyslexia or if they just have a lower intelligence? 

My wheels started turning about it and it seems to make sense to me, but I have no teaching experience, so I thought I'd see what others thought. 

But by definition, dyslexia refers to people of normal intelligence.  If they can't read because they aren't intelligent, it isn't dyslexia...because to be dyslexic, you have to have an average IQ.  

There are other reasons people can't read.  Not all reading problems are a result of dyslexia. 

• Options

I work in a very urban district and I do understand what you're saying about it not being dx as much due to ppl just brushing it off as lower intelligence.  I'll give you an example of a kid I tested this year.  He tested average on everything but still had difficulty reading.  I gave him every test I had access to and still-average.  I then asked a pyschologist to test him because this kid was a hard worker, was attentive in class and still wasn't making gains.  The more testing that was done, the more average he became until the last test.  He does have the characteristics of dyslexia as well as some OT issues that needed to be teased out.  If I had not been persistent, he would've been passed off as ok and just not an issue.  I really had to push the district to pursue more testing and was even asked by a supervisor if I was fishing for something.  I told her that I was fishing for a learning disability because I'd rather fish and catch it than let some precious years go by and be the one who missed it.

Oh and if you do know someone who is dyslexic, I love a book called Thank You, Mr. Faulker by Patricia Polacco.  It is an excellent read.  I read it every year to my students to teach compassion.

• Options

In many states, the IQ-achievement formula is going out the window -- all kids benefit from help when they experience a learning difficulty; whether they have low, average or high IQ. Often kids with lower IQs have those IQs due to lack of exposure to learning opportunities. Most benefit from teaching strategies tailored to their needs.

I can't get my head around teachers (and I was a SPED and English teacher) who put down spelling. Study your history of language -- it changes over time, as it should. 200 years from now we'll say, "Hey, smell my foots" and we'll wonder at the word "feet" in books. I'm not saying we shouldn't teach standard spellings, but poor spelling does not automatically equal "stupid."

• Options
    imageoparcm:

I work in a very urban district and I do understand what you're saying about it not being dx as much due to ppl just brushing it off as lower intelligence.  I'll give you an example of a kid I tested this year.  He tested average on everything but still had difficulty reading.  I gave him every test I had access to and still-average.  I then asked a pyschologist to test him because this kid was a hard worker, was attentive in class and still wasn't making gains.  The more testing that was done, the more average he became until the last test.  He does have the characteristics of dyslexia as well as some OT issues that needed to be teased out.  If I had not been persistent, he would've been passed off as ok and just not an issue.  I really had to push the district to pursue more testing and was even asked by a supervisor if I was fishing for something.  I told her that I was fishing for a learning disability because I'd rather fish and catch it than let some precious years go by and be the one who missed it.

Oh and if you do know someone who is dyslexic, I love a book called Thank You, Mr. Faulker by Patricia Polacco.  It is an excellent read.  I read it every year to my students to teach compassion.

Just to clarify though, he was never considered of lower intelligence.  This is just a poor school in a very urban district and lacks the resources of some of the better neighboring towns (which are quite wealthy).

• Options
    imagesusanmosley:
    imageYodajo:

But by definition, dyslexia refers to people of normal intelligence.  If they can't read because they aren't intelligent, it isn't dyslexia...because to be dyslexic, you have to have an average IQ.  

There are other reasons people can't read.  Not all reading problems are a result of dyslexia. 

Right, I have read the definition of it,  but I'm challenging, I guess,  that maybe there is a there a problem with the definition or therefore the means by which it gets diagnosed?  Maybe its possible that diagnosed dyslexics are of normal to higher intelligence, but there a whole slew of undiagnosed lower intelligence dyslexics. 

imageimage
  • Options
    imageoparcm:
    imageoparcm:

Just to clarify though, he was never considered of lower intelligence.  This is just a poor school in a very urban district and lacks the resources of some of the better neighboring towns (which are quite wealthy).

Well, he was lucky to have someone who took a little extra time and helped him.  It must be a good feeling to know you are helping make a difference in someone's life. 

imageimage
  • Options
    imageYodajo:
    imageoparcm:
    imageoparcm:

Well, he was lucky to have someone who took a little extra time and helped him.  It must be a good feeling to know you are helping make a difference in someone's life. 

I treat each child how I would want someone to treat my daughter.  I figure that if it were my daughter, I'd want someone to fight for her.  I know that my own daughter has had wonderful ppl in her life and I'm grateful to do that for anyone else.

• Options
    imageYodajo:
    imagesusanmosley:
    imageYodajo:

Right, I have read the definition of it,  but I'm challenging, I guess,  that maybe there is a there a problem with the definition or therefore the means by which it gets diagnosed?  Maybe its possible that diagnosed dyslexics are of normal to higher intelligence, but there a whole slew of undiagnosed lower intelligence dyslexics. 

your instincts are correct. The definition IS changing and the formula of IQ Achievement is on its way out. It is becoming more unusual to find non-responders in this day and age, especially since so many teaching methods and strategies are evidenced-based. Lots of schools have a RTI team -- in short, it's a way to screen very early and remediate early before a dx ever happens.  

• Options
    imageoparcm:
    imageYodajo:
    imageoparcm:
    imageoparcm:

I treat each child how I would want someone to treat my daughter.  I figure that if it were my daughter, I'd want someone to fight for her.  I know that my own daughter has had wonderful ppl in her life and I'm grateful to do that for anyone else.

I have to say you did go above and beyond what I have seen in a lot of public schools. Glad we have teachers like you.

• Options
    imagevccake:
    imageYodajo:
    imagesusanmosley:
    imageYodajo:

your instincts are correct. The definition IS changing and the formula of IQ Achievement is on its way out. It is becoming more unusual to find non-responders in this day and age, especially since so many teaching methods and strategies are evidenced-based. Lots of schools have a RTI team -- in short, it's a way to screen very early and remediate early before a dx ever happens.  

That is great to hear.  I hope that becomes the standard in all schools!

imageimage
  • Options
    Everyone should just learn Russian.  Word order doesn't matter, and there is no "the" or present tense of the verb "to be".  Even if someone was dyslexic, nobody would ever know..........  problem solved :-) 
  • Options
    SxiaSxia member
    I have nothing to say about dyslexia, I just think it's kind of funny that I thought I was being so original with the names Sammie and Maxwell, and there you have 'em both too. :)
    Samantha Skye - Aug 30, 2006 AND Maxwell Griffin - April 14, 2009
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"