Kentucky Babies

First pregnancy...super freaked!

My husband and I were just married Oct. 09 and without really thinking it through I went off the pill in Feb. "just to see what happens".  Well...I am now about 9 wks along and I am so scared I can't even be excited yet!  Thankfully he seems to be happy but I wish I could enjoy it with him instead of freaking out.

The silly thing is that I'm 29, married, own my home, have a job, supportive family (though in another state), loving husband, etc etc and while we aren't wealthy, all things considered we appear to be better off than many first time parents.  

So I guess I'm trying to figure out why I feel so paralyzed by fear that I can't see past it.  Thinking of taking up [prenatal] yoga or some other method of relaxation.  I have generalized anxiety anyway and was just switched to Bupropion (safer than what I was on) so perhaps that is part of it but it is driving me mad!

Any ideas for how to just go with the flow?

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: First pregnancy...super freaked!

• I sometimes have anxiety issues, too -- and this is also my first pregnancy. My best advice is not to overthink it. (Sooo much easier said than done!) Just try not to obsess about the huge ways our lives are going to change, or feel like you have to learn all there is to know about parenting overnight -- or even in the next nine months!

Do you have any friends around your age with new babies? Definitely talk to them about your fears and worries. Confide in your mom, a trusted mentor, or therapist.

Also, focus on the wonderful, small changes going on in your body! RELAX and allow yourself to have extra desserts. Smile

Best of luck and feel free to ask away  -- what, specifically are you scared of?! 

• I agree with the last post, just relax and enjoy! I just got married 3 weeks ago and have recently discovered that I am pregnant. Everything is going fast, but I'm totally going to relax and enjoy the ride!
  • Loading the player...
  • This happened to me when I found we were pregnant with DS, my second child. For the first mo or so I couldn't be happy. I cried all the time. My family lived in a different state and I felt so alone. It subsided when I started making friends in my area that were also pregnant, and I think that the prenatal yoga was the best thing for that. It enabled me to find moms-to-be that I could talk to.

Talking to others on here helps ease that anxiety, too. Even if it's just an on-line community, at least it's people you can connect with, share stories with, and feel like you're not so alone. It helps if you find moms that share your due date, so look for the Feb '11 board and introduce yourself.

Try to celebrate every day something small, even if it's just googling a website to find out what's going on with your LO right now, or a 3D/4D u/s of what s/he looks like, how big s/he is, or what's happening to your body. And remember, this is a blessing and it doesn't last long.

Fun to watch... https://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/you/the-exhibit/your-beginning/make-room-for-baby/interactive/

• Thanks to all!  It does help to hear that I'm not the only one who has faced this.  Truthfully, the hardest part of it is not being able to pinpoint an exact root of my fears...it is just a steady nervousness I feel daily.  But I'm trying to be positive and I believe it will help me once I hear the heartbeat in a couple of weeks :)

Thanks again for your words of wisdom!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I blame those darn hormones!!!

Pregnancy is scary...there are so many things that can happen and so many unknowns...just keep your eye on the prize ;o)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"