Austin Babies
Options

Changing OB?

Hi Ladies,

I am in a dilemma and could use some advice. I am seeing a new OB since we got prego and I have some concerns. My family dr. took me off of my anxiety meds while ttc and any further use. I told my new ob this but that I was having some anxiety. My new OB said well if you need to take it every now and then go ahead. So I researched it and its a level D on the meds so no way am I taking it. The anxiety is better these days anyhow.

Then there was morning sickness and the first meds (Zofran) she gave me were not really helping so she prescribe Phenergan. 

Both of those meds dont seem to be good for the baby. 

So my question is this. Is this what most OB's suggest? Should I change OB's? If I change how do I not get stuck in the same situation? 

I am very conflicted and not sure what to do. I am trying to possibly go natural and with as less meds as possible. 

I just dont want to be questioning everything she does. BTW this is our first child. 

Thanks for the help and small vent. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Changing OB?

• Options

I think that first it's helpful to understand the drug categories.  Category D says:  There is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience or studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.

So from your OB's POV, the risk of the potential effects of the drug on the fetus were less than the benefits of the drug for you.  This is a good policy especially when it relates to psychotropic medication (antidepressants, anti-anxiety meds, etc.) since these conditions can cause greater harm than the meds.   With regard to Phenergan, if you're not getting any relief from Zofran and are are risk for severe vomiting (which can lead to dehydration and hospitalization), than the benefit outweighed the risk.

Medicine isn't an exact science and a lot of times physicians are making decisions by weighing the risk/benefit of a medication or procedure.

Now if you feel that your OB doesn't listen to you or is behaving recklessly with your care or just isn't someone you mesh with, than I would consider a new one.  I wouldn't necessarily switch because he/she said I could use two medications that were in Category D. 

• Options
    I don't know anything about the meds, but I would say if you are feeling uncomfortable and/or unsure of your OB, then you should change. Personally, I want a doctor that I can and will trust with my health and the helath of my child and if I find myself questioning them too much, I would make a switch.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i dont really have advice on who to go to, but i wanted to tell you that it's totally fine to switch if you're not comfortable. find someone with whom you can express your concerns and who makes you feel like she's/he's actually listening.

and btw, i took zofran and phenergan (and tons of reglan) when pg. it's very common to take those during the pregnancy to help control extreme morning sickness. but i was also vomiting in the double digits each day and needed something strong to prevent additional hospital time. if you're just feeling a little queasy, there are lots of homeopathic remedies you can try. page me or ask on the board if you still need some suggestions on what to take. 

if you're planning to have a med-free birth, do your research beforehand and take classes geared towards going med-free. i was able to go med-free and would not have been able to if i had not fully prepared myself with pain coping techniques. 

good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I took Zofran the first 5 months of my pregnancy and I also was given Phenergan as well, but I only took that a few times because it made me sleepy.  Zofran is a Category B drug and Phenergan is Category C.  Zofran has been studied more, but Phenergan is a C with a long term drug safety record.  DH is a paramedic and knows about many drugs, and if he had any doubt in his mind about me taking something he would never let me use it.  He gives Zofran at work all the time for expecting moms.  
  • Options
    imageMrsAJL:

I think that first it's helpful to understand the drug categories.  Category D says:  There is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience or studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.

So from your OB's POV, the risk of the potential effects of the drug on the fetus were less than the benefits of the drug for you.  This is a good policy especially when it relates to psychotropic medication (antidepressants, anti-anxiety meds, etc.) since these conditions can cause greater harm than the meds.   With regard to Phenergan, if you're not getting any relief from Zofran and are are risk for severe vomiting (which can lead to dehydration and hospitalization), than the benefit outweighed the risk.

Medicine isn't an exact science and a lot of times physicians are making decisions by weighing the risk/benefit of a medication or procedure.

Now if you feel that your OB doesn't listen to you or is behaving recklessly with your care or just isn't someone you mesh with, than I would consider a new one.  I wouldn't necessarily switch because he/she said I could use two medications that were in Category D. 

This, word for word.  The bottom line, though, is that if you are uncomfortable with your doctor for whatever reason then find a new one.

• Options
    imageMrsAJL:

Thanks! I did do the research and I do understand however I guess its important for me to say that: one my anxiety was not bad and two I havent ever tossed my cookies with MS just been Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} nauseous. Guess I was just surprised these were her first recommendations. Since she hasn't asked me a lot of questions I guess I dont understand how she could know which one outweighed the other.

Thanks for the info. It is difficult because I do like her as a person just not sure as a dr.?

• Options
    Thanks Ladies! It is comforting to know other women have taken these meds.
  • Options
    imageEuropelove:
    imageMrsAJL:

Thanks for the info. It is difficult because I do like her as a person just not sure as a dr.?

And this is what's important.  As someone told me this weekend, you got to do what is best for you and your care.  It's ok to like a doctor because you like her. But if she's not the best doctor for you, then find another one.

I'm in that boat right now (not with my OB) and I understand it's a hard decision to make. In the end, however, the most important person is the equation is you.  Good luck!  Smile

• Options

I have taken Zofran for all 9 months of my 2 previous pregnancies and it's looking the same way with this one. I actually had a zofran pump in for 2 months this time that gave me a continual dosage of the medicine. So, as far as that goes, all my babies have come out just fine! :)

I will say this be leary of a dr. that will just prescribe you medicine at the drop of a hat and, on the other hand, be leary of a dr. who doesn't listen to you and won't prescribe you anything.

I switched Ob's during my first pregnancy at about 20 weeks. My dr wouldn't listen to me and refused to believe me that I was still sick. So, he wouldn't prescribe me anymore zofran and I ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks. Now, this isn't normal but my point is don't be afraid to switch. You want to love your dr. And, you are still early in your pregnancy that you still have the option to go anywhere you want! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"