Postpartum Depression

anyone on lamictal?

I have server depression and anxity.  I have been for over ten years and have been on meds that long as well.  Am not pregnant yet but have babies on the brian.  I haven't been really dignosed as BP but the meds work that are for BP like Lamictal.  I also have sympotms of bordline presonality disorder.  So that's why they can't say for sure. 

I am so much happier with this med.  I wish they put me on it years ago.  I am afraid about taking it while am pregnant.  My doctor says it's ok but it has a small chance that it could casue a cleft palate.  I could not live with myself if I hurt my baby like that.  So now I feel like I can never have a baby am so sad thinking about that. I also have have very high chance of haveing PPD.

Has any one been on Lamictal or where you taken off of it.  Did you feel like this before you got pregnant?  TIA

Re: anyone on lamictal?

• I am on Lamictal now. I have been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder. I was on just Cymbalta before getting pregnant. I had to be taken off of it, due to it being a fairly new drug, no research. I could have gone on another med, like Prozac or Zoloft, but I, like you, was extremely anxious that it would hurt my baby. So, I decided to just go it alone for my entire pregnancy. I did ok. Of course, I had my bad days.

I also got PPD, no surprise there and had to stop nursing cause I had to go back on both C& L. I love the C but I am not so enthused about the L this time around.

I was nervous about all the same things. Try to speak with your husband and family and see what you think then.

Good Luck

• I am BP and have babies on the brain. I haven't talked to my psychiatrist yet, but I read online that Lamictal is actually SAFER during pregnancy than many other drugs, and that sometime women START taking it during pregnancy as a substitution for something else. I do take Lamictal (although I'm not sure it's helping) but I'm super happy that it's working for you! When considering whether or not you are going to take a med during pregnancy, you also have to think about your mental health after the baby is born. If you stay on your meds during pregnancy, you are a lot less likely to be hospitalized for PPD. You have to not only think about the safety of the baby, but being there for the baby after he or she is born. I understand the confusion, I'm feeling the same way!
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been on it for at least four years for epilepsy.  I didn't have any other choice but to use this medecine because a seizure is much worse than the medecine.  Yes cleft palate is an issue but it is fixable pretty easy and with a good plastic surgeon it should be pretty unnoticeable. 

Basically the choice is if you are better off with or without the medecine.  Would severe depression affect your  pregnancy more than the medecine?

This is also my second child and the first turned out awesome.

I took extra folic acid to help combat the medicin e because they say lamictal absorbs folic acid too.  My dose also had to be increased ]to 4x as much as prepregnancy because I was having more seizures.

Sorry for any crazy misspellings, LO cries every time I take him of my lap, so my typing is screwed up.

• I have BP disorder and was on Lamictal and Celexa prior to becoming pregnant. Since becoming pregnant, I've been advised to stop taking the lamictal by both my OB and my psychiatrist. I've also recently switched to zoloft instead of celexa (OB's recommendation). I had a hard time trying to decide whether or not to continue on any psych meds during the pregnancy, but ultimately figured that the risks of untreated BP, not to mention the fact that I was already starting to feel depressed, were enough  for me to ultimately decide to continue with meds. Good luck on whatever you decide to do :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"