Parenting

I need a witty response because I'm sick of answering this question

I will be 30 in December, but I hear over and over and over how young I look.  I don't really care that I look young, but I'm sick of strangers saying that they think I look like a teenaged mom.  Just yesterday I was getting the oil changed in my car and a woman at the shop says, "2 kids?  You look like you're about 16." in the rudest, most condescending tone.  I'm too freaking nice and simply said, "No, I'm 29.  I'll be 30 in December." and left it at that.  I"m sick of being nice about it.  Come on, witty girls, give me something good to answer with!

Re: I need a witty response because I'm sick of answering this question

• I, too, am so sick of people saying things like that! I get, "You're only 28 and you've already popped out 3 kids?!". I usually just glare at them and say, "Actually, I had them surgically removed. And? You're rude.". I am very forthright, though.
    Evelyn-Mommy to Ben 9.20.05 and Emily 5.14.07 and Callie 7.10.09! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • That's really rude of them. You need a comment about how old they look. But, I'm not witty enough right now.
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly, I'd just kill them with kindness.  Say "thanks" in a chipper voice and a big smile.  I'm not very witty though. 

I'm not understanding why you'd want to be mean to them either.  I guess I can see why it would get frustrating to hear the same thing over and over.  But they don't realize you hear it a lot.  They probably think they're the first person to ever say it to you.  I'm wondering, too, if you're misinterpreting the tone of people and taking it negatively when they don't mean it that way.  I know I'm guilty of that!  Admittedly it has to be somewhat flattering to be constantly told how young you look.  It's much better than the alternative.

I was the BEST mom....until I became a mother. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Honestly, I am 38 and was always, the you look so young, got carded for movies at 30.  Now that I am "old", I still look much younger than I am.  Beats the alternative.  My neighbor is only 7 years older than me, same age as my DH, and often goes shopping with the kids and I.  We have been mistaken for Mother and Daughter too many times to count.  It is embarrassing and I always feel badly when it happens.

My witty reply, "You are too kind."

• I just say "looks can be deceiving.". This is generally followed by a silence during which the commenter feels awkward enough to remember that it is impolite to comment in someone's age.
  • imageJOEBunny:

My witty reply, "You are too kind."

And then follow up with a 'Bless your heart!'.

J1 1.19.07
    J2 11.17.08
  • imageLeoChic:

Honestly, I'd just kill them with kindness.  Say "thanks" in a chipper voice and a big smile.  I'm not very witty though. 

I'm not understanding why you'd want to be mean to them either.  I guess I can see why it would get frustrating to hear the same thing over and over.  But they don't realize you hear it a lot.  They probably think they're the first person to ever say it to you.  I'm wondering, too, if you're misinterpreting the tone of people and taking it negatively when they don't mean it that way.  I know I'm guilty of that!  Admittedly it has to be somewhat flattering to be constantly told how young you look.  It's much better than the alternative.

I don't want to be mean, and I wouldn't be mean to someone who said it in a nice way.  I have no problem saying, "Oh, actually I'm 29" when someone comments about my age in a nice way.  But like the lady yesterday who was so obviously judging and thinking I was a teenaged mom...I need a better response for people like that.

• For the judgy ones:  "Two kids is nothing, I've got three more at home!"

and if they are really annoying about it, let it slip that it's from three different fathers.

LOL, the look on their faces would be fun!  Surprise

• image~appletini~:

For the judgy ones:  "Two kids is nothing, I've got three more at home!"

and if they are really annoying about it, let it slip that it's from three different fathers.

LOL, the look on their faces would be fun!  Surprise

I like this route. How about "2 kids? Oh no, I have 5, the other 3 are with their daddies." Tempting to add "these 2 saw their daddies at the prison last weekend."

- Jena
  • you think I look young, you should see my baby daddies. 

lol.

actually, I just laugh at people when they say that.  since I've gained a little weight, people don't say it as much... but I still get it from old farts when I'm trying to do a procedure... like place a foley catheter or something.  at those moments they ask how old I am and make comments about how I look 16.... I just respond... yeah and this is my first foley... you don't mind, right?  then I laugh and explain that I am , indeed, old now.  lol.  

the person is a stranger.  who cares what she thinks.  you don't owe an explanation... if anything, I'd laugh and say "oh thank you so much!"  and leave it at that.   

• I'd have responded with something like "Yeah, I figure I would get it done with early while I still have my figure." 

• Just smile and say "Actually, I'm almost 18." Then smile and leave it at that. Or, just say "Yeah, I get that a lot. It's kind of annoying" and give a meaningful stare.

But really, who cares? Let them be rude, you didnt do anything wrong and you dont need to defend your age or your choices. 

• When I was pg, I use to get all the looks. It didn't matter that I had rings on my finger. People have some nerve!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It doesn't happen to me anymore but when it did I used the "bless your heart" line. 
  • I get it a lot too and I'm sensitive to the judgy ones because I was a teen mom. :)  But, I usually just say "Oh, thank you for saying that."
  • "Yeah, I like totally planned the second one hoping to get on Teen Mom on MTV but it didn't happen for me."
    Jenni ~~Alex & Avery ~~ 6/13/06~~Adam ~~3/26/08

• I totally understand. My husband and I are 29 and 27, and we both look like we are pushing 14. We have 4 kids and get the dirtiest looks ever, especially since all 4 have different tones of hair, skin, and eye color (all the same daddy). I want to make myself a shirt that says "Yes, I have a job, and No, I am not on welfare!" Some people are so ignorant. It is just jealousy:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"