Illinois Babies

Cloth Diapers?

My husband and I would like to use cloth diapers but we know nothing about them. There are several different types of cloth diapers. We like the Bum genius diapers but they are pretty pricey. Are they worth the money or should we go the cheaper route and buy pre folds with diaper covers? Whats your opinion with Cloth diapers/?

Re: Cloth Diapers?

• I would suggest doing a trial with CDs before deciding which one's you want to buy.  There are local stores as well as online retailers that offer a trial for about $150.00 and they give you various brands to try for a few weeks.  Once your trial is up you return the diapers in a good condition, and you get a store credit. 

We did this, and found that we hated the Bum Genius diapers and loved the Fuzzi Bunz.  It's all a matter of opinion though, so if you can do a trial somewhere I would highly recommend it.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • We plan to go the prefold route.  Its super economical, and a lot of the covers will last multiple sizes.  I have already bought some pocket type diapers to use at night ( i hear those are a bit more absorbent than prefolds).

Lots of info can be found on the internet.  I know its overwhelming, but its worth the research!  I agree that trial packages are great b/c it seems like not one diaper works for everyone...

Good luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • We love bum genius but they are not for everyone.  Jillian's Drawers does trial runs.  Check on ebay for deals as well.
  • I don't know what area you live in but there is a great store called Giggle in Lincoln Park that offers a free class on pre-fold diapers.  This might be a good place to start.  There is also a store on Lincoln and Roscoe that is called Be Bye Baby and they have a lot of different diapers systems you can look at.  They also offer a class but they charge for it.  We are going to go with the pre-folds from Giggle. 
  • I think we're going to go to the free class from Giggle and maybe start from there.  Their diapers are prefolds with a disposable liner which will really make my DH happy.  I think once we're comfortable with CD's I might try other brands to see if there is something we like better.
    BFP 4/23/09. D&E 7/17/09 16W5D. BFP #2 3/10/10. EDD 11/15/10 Babycakes was born 11/5/10! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Prefolds are the cheapest way to go. Thirsties and Bummis Super Whisper Wrap are great covers. I order everything from www.greenmountaindiapers.com - it's the cheapest for prefolds. I also ordered cloth wipes from them as well. But you should definitely go to a class to get a good introduction to cloth diapering.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wrote out a big long tutorial on CDing for a friend (She calls it the Cloth Diaper Manifesto) and it's been circulating through a lot of people for a while now.  PM me if you want it!

I do BumGenius and love it.  More $ up front, big savings in the long run. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Hi! I suggest what PPs said and do a trial or go to a class, if you're near Orland Park, Cutie Poops and Bottoms is very good and very informative!

Also feel free to post questions on the Eco Friendly Family Board or the Eco Friendly Family Blog!

HTH!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"