Postpartum Depression
Options

Talk to me about PPA/ Intrusive thoughts

I went back to work two weeks ago. Since then, I have been having momentary "flashes" - images of horrible things happening to my LO. Things that, if they were to happen, would be complete freak accidents - like our television falling off the wall and crushing her...or worse ( I can't even bring myself to type them out. )

In the first few weeks of her life, I was plagued by this anxiety. As I got the hang of being a mom, my fears subsided. But now, four months later, these thoughts are popping into my head again...I have a feeling that it's a reaction to being back to work, and the stress of trying adjust to being a working mom. I am hoping that this anxiety subsides once I get used this new situation.

I just love my little girl so much...and I'm terrified of something happening to her. To put it simply, I've never had so much to lose. 

Can anyone relate?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Talk to me about PPA/ Intrusive thoughts

• Options
    Absolutely.  Only mine are dreams.  I wake up in the night after dreaming about that stuff, and I can't go back to sleep.  You aren't alone and I am glad I found this post because I was thinking I was.  Mine aren't as frequent as they were in the first two months and I am hoping that they will keep going away, because it just makes me so sick.  And it's not like something you want to talk to your DH or anyone else about because when I tell mine I had that kind of dream he's like "don't think about that stuff" and you can't help it!
  • Options

Yes, I have had some MAJOR scary thoughts, most of which were me harming Drew. I didn't want to harm him, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. Then I would begin to obsess. Obsess over everything. 

I have OCD as well as Anxiety and I am in therapy weekly for it. I also had to go on meds, I just could not get better without them, and now I realize I may never be able to get off them but I am finally happy. And that's all that matters.

If you need someone to talk to, please email me. I found talking to someone about the scary feelings I was having knowing that a - they had been through them before and b- they were not going to judge me helped SO much.

Crazy internet stalkers, unite my full name!  - LeaAskren@live.com :)  

{Ava 5.16.06} {Ella 12.29.07} {Drew 2.9.10}
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You're not alone. It started for me the day DS was born. I would get images in my head of me waking up to find him blue. After I brought him home and for the next few months I would get the same images and would frantically run in to check on him. There were a few times I woke him up from naps just to hold him because I was so afraid he would die. When I went back to work I would get images of the DCP hurting him, and even recently on vacation got images of me throwing him into the ocean. It sounds TERRIBLE and I would never EVER hurt my child. Talking to people about it has really helped me to see that while these thoughts are horrible they don't reflect any desires that I have and are normal when associated with PPA/PPD. I really hope you start to find some relief soon. We're here for you!
  • Options
    Awww Soko. *hugs* Sorry, no advice for ya, just hugs.
  • Options

Thanks, ladies. I'm just trying to figure out if this is something that will pass. My thoughts do not center on me hurting the baby, and I wouldn't say that they consume me...but at least four to five times a day they pop into my head. It's very unnerving, but I am hoping that once I settle into my working mom routine, they will subside, just as they did when she was first born.

It's nice to know I'm not alone. I think that I am always going to harbor some anxiety now that I'm a mother. But if it doesn't get better, I definitely plan on talking to my doctor. As a matter of fact, my annual is in a few weeks, I may bring it up and see what she thinks.

• Options

Thank you for being honest and strong enough to post this. I am a very new mom (2 weeks in) and am unattached from my baby and my life right now. I also have horrible anxiety that is getting worse by the day. I thought I was the only one out there with fears of hurting my LO. I LOVE her so much(though I dont feel it now I KNOW I do) but throughout the last week I have thoughts of what if i freak and hurt her? anyways I started meds and therapy starts tomorrow. The rule is mommy has to have company until she is better.......I know I would never hurt her but I wont even entertain myself being given the option. she is to perfect.

Enough about me.......I wanted to tell you how strong you must be to go this long and fight it on your own. I dont know how you did it. I hope I get you mental strength. You made it through this before and you will again. HTH 

• Options
    My name is Amber and I just joined the bump.  I am pregnant with my 2nd baby and was reading your responses about postpartum depression.  I went through exactly what a lot of you did...intrusive thoughts of me hurting my baby..awful...anyway, I am considering getting on medication while still pregnant.  Did any of you do the same? Do you know if that is safe? I know I will be plagued with PPD again, because I already have depressive days being that my husband works nights and is gone from us quite a bit. Just wondering if you knew anything about meds and pregnancy...and even meds with breastfeeding? thank you so much for posting this topic.  You have no idea what a relief it is to know that I wasn't alone. 
  • Options
    So I was started on zoloft because that is safe while breast feeding and during your last trimester. So yes speak up now. My PPD and anxiety is so bad that I had to start something stronger and now can no longer breast feed. Do what you can as early as u can. good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you! I plan on talking to my doctor about it at my next visit. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"