Military Families

DITY Moves and PODS?

So I don't normally post on here, but my husband is in the Marines and we are PCSing right around my 37 week mark and we are trying to decide if we should get a UHaul or use PODS? Has anyone on here used them (PODS) and been able to claim the move at TMO and get your money back? We arn't sure if they are going to count it and since it is SO expensive to use them I want to know what our chances are of not seeing the money before we make any arrangements. 

Re: DITY Moves and PODS?

• The way I understand it, if you do a DITY you get what the military would pay to move your belongings. If you come in under the amount you get to pocket the extra, if you go over the amount that is on you. You'll probably get to pocket some if you go with a U-Haul, but being 37 weeks pregnant I'd only go that option if you have TONS of help with packing, unpacking, loading, and unloading.

Good luck!

• In case you haven't already... just be sure to check that your destination is serviced by PODS.  We were considering using PODS, but they didn't service our destination, so that was out the window.
  • Loading the player...
  • Just lurking in here but thought I could be of some help.  My husband is also a Marine and we just moved to SC from Ohio in October.  Since DH was still in Okinawa when we moved down here, we opted for the POD.  It was awesome and we got all of our money back!  The only part that was difficult was that you have to pay out of pocket initially and they are a tad bit pricey.  If that's not a problem for you, then I would definitely go for it!  37 weeks and dealing with a U-Haul is not my idea of a good time!  Good luck with your move!  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a friend use one for their exit move and they said it worked wonderfully.  I had another friend look into it and she said that it was 3K for a PODS from TX to NC and that included one month of storage.  I'd think they'd weigh the PODS at some point.  The military calculates how much you get paid based on how far you move and how much you move (weight).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • My DH is AF and we just had a DITY move in April.  We used Uhaul and got paid for the weight of all of our goods, the mileage/gas, and per diem.  Make sure you keep every receipt for gas and lodging.  Also, make sure the your husband has the finance office check the paperwork before submitting it.   We have had to submit our package about 6 different times because they keep finding something that was missing, and then regecting the whole thing... so then its back to the beginning.  We have been reimbursed for the weight of the uhaul but nothing else yet - supposedly this is coming next week!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It really depends on what it would cost the military to pay someone to do it.  If it is cheaper, you pocket the extra.  If it is more expensive, you eat the cost.

We recently PCS'd from NC to VA.  We rented a uhaul.  With everything included, we made about $4500.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagejuwels1986:
    My DH is AF and we just had a DITY move in April.  We used Uhaul and got paid for the weight of all of our goods, the mileage/gas, and per diem.  Make sure you keep every receipt for gas and lodging.  Also, make sure the your husband has the finance office check the paperwork before submitting it.   We have had to submit our package about 6 different times because they keep finding something that was missing, and then regecting the whole thing... so then its back to the beginning.  We have been reimbursed for the weight of the uhaul but nothing else yet - supposedly this is coming next week!

THIS! DH is Army and we did a DITY move April of 2009 and still haven't gotten all of our money back because of them missing things. We've sent so many faxes and e-mails back and forth it's ridiculous!

Anyway, I don't know if anyone else mentioned this but we were given some of the money up front. DH estimated the weight of all of our stuff and they calculated it based on the mileage, then we got half of that up front.

In the end we definitely made money on it, but not without having to fight back and forth to get it (well most of it). After this, I'm done, they can come pack me up and do it all themselves.  

Miscarriage/D&E 10w6d 10/3/14 (baby's heart stopped beating)

Ectopic Pregnancy discovered @ 10 weeks 5/6/14 (Lost right tube and ovary)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Miscarriage @ 9 weeks 11/9/08

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"