St. Louis Babies
Options

St. Johns or MO Bap

Which hospital would you choose to deliver at? What makes you choose one over the other. I have heard good things about both but not sure which one I should pick.

Thanks

Re: St. Johns or MO Bap

• Options

I think it depends on what kind of birth you're wanting. I've only heard horrible things about St. Johns, which turned me off of it because people refer to it as the "baby factory." Plus you recover in a different room that you deliver in, which kind of bugged me. 

Have you taken tours of either? I chose St. Lukes because it's smaller and seemed more into individual attention... and they have Jacuzzi bathtubs in their bathrooms to labor in lol

• Options
    DG1DG1 member

Interesting. I delivered at St. John's both times and was thrilled with my experience.  I had 2 c/sections, but I can't say I've heard anything bad about it from people who had vaginal births (or anyone else, really).

Yes, they deliver 10,000 babies/year, but I considered that a good thing.  I didn't want to be the person who had some complication that they'd never seen before - a rare case, for sure, but more possible at the smaller hospitals.  And, for all the "baby factory"-ness of it, I never felt like "just a number" or anything like that.  

I got great support from everyone from the L&D check-in staff to the mom & baby nursing staff to the lactation consultants and even the people who delivered meals to the room. My H was treated well, too.

So, that's one vote for St. Johns.

I also know a few people who delivered at MoBap and were very happy.

But definitely take some tours and decide for yourself.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've never heard anything about the L&D at MO Bap, however, most of the mom's I know delivered at St. John's without complaint. Personally I chose St. Luke's, but after my most recent experience with the staff in L&D I almost switched. Honestly, it depends on the staff at the hospital at the particular time that you're in labor. You're not guaranteed anything until you get in there.
  • Options
    Definitely tour and go with where you feel comfortable.  I've heard loads of folks say they would prefer St. John's for the large and impressive NICU, just in case it is needed.  However, I work for MOBap, and will very likely have no choice but to deliver there. (It's how BJC insurance works.)  Nevertheless, I have no concerns about it because I know that if something does happen, my child could be choppered to Children's in a matter of minutes, and, given Children's NICU's rep, I am not worried.
  • Options
    I've never really heard anything bad about delivering at St. John's.  I just know if baby needs an NICU, St. John's is where I would like to be.  I don't know how you feel about a doula, but I just hired one and it makes me feel better that at least there will be a support person on my side besides my husband.  She can help me be as comfortable as I can and keep me off my back, which I truly need since I have pelvic and back pain all the time.  GL with your decision.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I've delivered twice at St. John's and thought it was great.  The rooms were comfortable, the nurses were great and I was very impressed with their NICU and security system ( just in case). 

I know it is called the baby factory but I figure it is called that for a reason.   I would suggest it to anyone. 

• Options
    I delivered at St. john's for both my kids and LOVED it. I have never heard a neg. word about them. I have heard some bad things about MoBap though. I really liked all the support I got at St. John's and loved the lc there. i think i had different lc though b/c both my boys were in the NICU (both unexpectedly came early) We chose them b/c we had heard great things about it and it made us feel better to have a NICU just in case, which for us turned out to be a good thing. FYI they are about to make some great improvements to their NICU this year too (not that you'll need them) but I'm w/ the other posters take tours and decide for yourself. My SIL preferred St. Luke to St. John's b/c it was smaller.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagekatiemk:
    I chose St. Lukes because it's smaller and seemed more into individual attention... and they have Jacuzzi bathtubs in their bathrooms to labor in lol

I'm giving birth at St John's, but from what I have heard, St Luke's seems like it is smaller and can let mothers labor on their own timetable.  I think that if I would've known this months ago, I'd be having DS at St. Luke's.  GL with your decision.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I delivered my daugther who passed away shortly after birth at St. John's, and they were just incredible about the whole thing.  I still get little gifts in the mail from them on all the major holidays.  I wouldn't go anywhere else, even though I desperately hope to never be in that situation again!
  • Options

I know I am a bit behind on this post, but I delivered at St, Johns and I was not impressed to put it mildly. I felt like all of the nurses were so busy with everyone else that when I needed someone or something, I had to wait 15-20 minutes. 

I was also forgotten about down in the delivery room, after I had my son. I delivered at 9:29pm, and I was not wheeled up to my recovery room until well after midnight. My birth was not complicated, I felt forgotten about. 

The nursing staff also did not follow my requests for no formula for him, and gave him some anyway to "make sure he was breathing correct." I know it makes no sense to me either.

Next time around I will be delivering at MOBAP, my Dr. delivers at both. 

Parker 12:09:09 Alyssa 5:31:12
  • Options

I know you posted this forever ago, but I haven't been on here in forever! I delivered DS Dec 2008 at MoBap. Wonderful experience! Failed induction led to c-section. I had caring nurses every step of the way, never felt like a "number." My SIL delivered all 3 of hers at St. John's. The only complaint she had was she felt 'forgotten' at times.

• Options

My OB mentioned to me that she doesn't like to deliver at St. Johns b/c they tend to rush deliveries and that they have a 50% c-section rate.  I've tried to confirm that number, but haven't found anything online and while I understand that there could be other reasons for the 50% (like more high-risk deliveries, etc), it still makes me uncomfortable. 

With that said I had my DD at St. Johns and most of the staff was great, however I was induced due to pre-e and ended up with a c-section.  A few things went wrong with my labor and recovery but I'm not sure if that had more to do with my OB or the hospital.  Regardless, I got a new OB for #2 and am looking at other hospitals.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"