Stay at Home Moms

Thirty-one or other consultant stuff

I usually don't even consider being a consultant for anything because I'm just not into the products (candles, pampered chef, etc), but Thirty One has awesome stuff.

How does the consultant thing work?  Does anyone here make decent money from it?

The thing is, I don't know that many people around where I live, and I cringe thinking about having to keep inviting people to parties.  I don't know how I would do it with the 2 kids in tow (I don't have much help with them), and once I have parties with everyone I know locally, what would I do?  Not trying to be harsh about it, just realistic.. if it is easier than I am thinking it is, please enlighten me.  And would it be realistic to go in on it with someone else?  Like I could do more of the 'background' work and someone else could do more of the hosting?

Re: Thirty-one or other consultant stuff

• One of my good friends is a consultant for Thirty-One. I LOVE their stuff, we have a ton of it. She makes great money doing it.

Basically, as a consultant your selling the product. You don't do any of the inviting (unless you have your own party). You have to advertize your business and put your name out there. People contact you if they want to have a party. You go to their home and do the party and people buy the product from you. It's not really that hard, Thirty-One products basically sell themselves. 

• I tried to sell Thirty one, and failed, I don't know many people and not a pushy person, I couldn't get people to have parties and therefore made no money. On the other side of that a friend of mine just signed up and has made senior consultant and almost director in about 6 months. it can be done you just have to work at it and know people.
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't do it. If you don't know many people then it will be a push to get started. It is not easier than you think, most people who start direct selling drop out and end up losing money. I really don't think it is worth it! I have done it for a few companies before and even though I do know a lot of people and consider myself really good at it, I always failed miserably because no one is really interested in hosting home parties anymore and that is the best way to get going. Chances are, most people you talk to either won't be interested or will already buy from someone else.
    Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• aspadeaspade member

My sister is a 31 consultant and I ordered some stuff from her because I wanted to help her--not because I really needed anything.

It's basically a pyramid scheme.  Those companies make their money off "consultants" buying stuff.  Like pps said, most people only do it for a little while but invest a lot of money in their party samples.  I'd be careful about it, honestly.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I work with a company founded by Dr. Rodan + Dr. Fields. You may know them as the creators of Proactiv Solution. Their new venture is focused on reversing the signs of aging skin...and this time, they are offering an opportunity for independent business ownership.

We just opened this market, and the response has been huge for both the product and opportunity. I am looking for people to support the expansion.

There is no stocking of inventory and no home parties. You make the hours, and you are able to build a team of your own, as well. 

If this may be of interest to you, I would love talk further in detail.

Thanks, and good luck!

Rachel

email: remarkableregimens@yahoo.com

• imageRachel&Brad:

I work with a company founded by Dr. Rodan + Dr. Fields. You may know them as the creators of Proactiv Solution. Their new venture is focused on reversing the signs of aging skin...and this time, they are offering an opportunity for independent business ownership.

We just opened this market, and the response has been huge for both the product and opportunity. I am looking for people to support the expansion.

There is no stocking of inventory and no home parties. You make the hours, and you are able to build a team of your own, as well. 

If this may be of interest to you, I would love talk further in detail.

Thanks, and good luck!

Rachel

email: remarkableregimens@yahoo.com

I'm not sure if you're breaking the rules, because TECHNICALLY this woman asked about direct sales, but I'd like to call you out on one point. What are you trying to communicate by saying "Just opened the market"? Because I had a very vivd conversation with a consultant from R&F on www.pinktruth.com several YEARS ago.

OP, I wouldn't do it. ESPECIALLY if you have no "warm market." If the people you know aren't willing to really branch out and help you succeed by inviting tons of people they know to parties, you'll end up having to go out and find customers. Meaning you'd have to be peddling yourself wherever you go. If your at the grocery store you have to talk to people, if you're at the mall you have to talk to people. If you are at the park with your kids, you have to talk to people.

Some people will try to tell you "the product sells itself" but honestly, it doesn't. Nothing sells itself. There is marketing that goes into every single purchase that someone makes. Whether it's peanut butter at walmart or the product you're trying to sell. Some things will be easier to sell than others, but there is still going to be a "speech" that you have to give to get people familiar with the product and willing to buy it.

I have never heard of thirty-one, so I don't know what type of products they sell, but as far as the make-up, skin-care, and clothing/jewelry lines it can really be a crap shoot. Most of them have been out for years and people either HAVE a consultant (And are being pressured to become a consultant to "get great discounts" or because they'd "be so good at it") or have tried the product and found it inferior.

It takes a lot of time to build a customer base and with these companies you never actually "own your own business" because the contracts are very specific about what you can and can't do. How you can market yourself (like putting ads in the paper, or online etc) what you can do with your customer list, who you can sell product to (Mary Kay just killed a thriving online business because consultants were selling excess product to this liquidator), and so on and so forth. It takes a lot of work to get ot know all the products your company offers and be able to answer questions about them all from memory, and you're not paid for all the behind the scenes work you have to do. Including paperwork, setting up a home office, placing orders, organizing orders, delivering orders, scheduling parties, making follow-up calls, calling "non-attending" guests for outside orders. All of those hours make the amount you make while you are at the party really stretch itself thin.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"