Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Questions about stuttering-new onset in 2.5 year old.

So my 2.5 year old son has started stuttering just over the last few weeks.  He doesn't do it all the time, but enough that I am a little concerned.  He has always been a big talker and literally does not stop talking from the time he wakes to when he goes to bed.

Do you think this is just a phase?  He does it more when he is tired.  If you stop him and ask him to say the phrase he is trying to get out, he is able to.  My DH thinks he is now doing it on purpose since he knows it gets attention, but I am becoming worried.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Re: Questions about stuttering-new onset in 2.5 year old.

• Options

Just go with it.  We went through this a while back.  Soon after it went away and he started putting more words together to form 4 word sentences instead of 2.  

Just make sure not to rush him.  Always maintain eye contact and never finish what he is trying to say.  Let him do it on his own. 

47 months &
    11 months
  • Options

There was another post about this earlier today.  The responses might help..

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/40705121.aspx 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks so much.  Those responses make me feel much better.  It is hard to know when to worry about things vs. just a phase. 
  • Options
    Us too! I think its a phase, but I honestly don't know. I think its gotten better over the last week. I think DS started that about a month ago. It seems like he has more problems, the more excited he gets. Or if he thinks we're not paying attention to him and he's just trying to get out a thought very fast. Glad we're not the only ones! We weren't sure, since it just came out of the blue!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"