Health & Exercise
Options

Thinking about TTC: A few extra pounds?

OK, well I guess I have a bit more than a few extra pounds from my ideal weight and we are thinking about TTC. Can anyone tell me whether that will affect our chances or if it will cause any additional risks for the baby or myself??

FYI - I would say I am 40 lbs. from what I would consider my ideal weight - some might say 20 or 30 lbs.

I am about 5'7".

TIA!

Re: Thinking about TTC: A few extra pounds?

• Options
    they say 20% body fat is average/ideal.  this is something you're going to have to decide for yourself.  you will gain approx 40 lbs w/ baby.  i personally would TTC AND try to lose weight at the same time.  good luck!
  • Options
    Not sure about my body fat but my GYN said that I should not worry about it and just TTC.  Of course, eating heathy which I plan.  Thanks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i am now 20lb from ideal body weight, and i do try to eat right. i have managed to conceive twice and i have one healthy son and a new one on the way. i conceived son on the first try and #2 the last week on bcp. thankfully we have never really tried hard to get pg. i was less than 10lb from ideal weight when i got pg with son. i worked out a lot and was in good shape then. its hard to get pg lbs off and this next time i am not messing around like i did with son with taking it off. good luck!!

sam-mommy to brady 11/6/06; #2 edd 3/31/09

• Options
    I was wondering the same thing... I'm about 30 lbs from my ideal weight and my dr said not to worry about it.  I just m/c and now I'm wondering if I should loose more weight. ( I lost 30 lbs last year and have kept it off).
  • Options
    It's so funny that I saw this here because I was seriously just wondering about the same thing. We are starting TTC in December and I have a pre-conception appointment tomorrow and my big question for the doctor is "should I lose like 20 pounds before we start?".

I'm really short-barely 5'3"-and I drop and gain weight at the drop of a hat. In three weeks I lost 9 pounds, three weeks later I gained it back plus 2 more pounds. If I can gain weight that easily I'm scared that I'm gonna gain a lot of weight when pregnant...and even a little weight is noticeable on my small frame.
  • Options
    Being overweight *can* affect your fertility, but lots of fat women get pg every day.

Of course, losing as much as you can BEFORE you get pregnant will only help you once you are pregnant.

You should talk to your doctor about your specific situation.
  • Options
    I would try to lose weight as you are TTC. Even if you are not losing weight, I would at least be eating very healthy and trying to do light excersising. Even just a short walk everyday!
  • Options
    I know they say it affects you, but I am a little overweight and was not TTC at all and surprise- here I am. It depends on a ton of factors and being a bit overweight will not in and of itself impare you
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"