3rd Trimester

Homemade Moby Wrap..

I am in LOVE with Moby Wraps but they are a little spendy so I was wondering if anyone else had made their own with success, and if so what materials/fabric did you use?

I know the dimensions so that isn't an issue, but I don't know if I should boarder the edges, get thicker cloth or a stretchy cloth.. I'm lost lol

Re: Homemade Moby Wrap..

• A little stretch would be nice but I would steer clear of jersey fabric (t-shirt type material) I haven't tried making a moby out of it, but I did try to make a ring sling with it for my last baby and it was way too stretchy--it was hard to keep the baby snug and supported.

I would try something with a little give, but not too much. Something that breathes (not fleece) because it's going to be folded in half on top of being wrapped around you several times. I simple cotton knit would probably work.

Ella is finally here!
    Elizabeth Anne Born 08/18/10; 7lb. 4.5 oz; 20" long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I added up the cost of the fabric that is similar to the moby and in my area it would have cost the same to make it as to buy it...I went ahead and bought mine on amazon!
  • Loading the player...
  • I was wondering about that too, plus I wouldn't have to mess with anything if I just bought it. There's a good sale on Diapers.com right now, too. I might snatch one up hehe
  • I did when DS was little. I just used some thin cotton from the $1  shelf at the fabric store and hemmed the ends. You want something that has a bit of give to it without being truly stretchy. DS hated it, so I was glad that I didn't spend a lot of money on it and I could cut it up to make other stuff with.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The woman who taught our newborn care class made a Moby herself.  She'd just bought some breathable cotton fabric at a flea market, actually.  It worked perfectly fine.  If I hadn't already found mine at a used baby stuff sale, I'd totally make one.  I'm thinking of making a regular sling, since the teacher told us how to make that as well. 
  • I bought cotton gauze fabric and didn't hem the edges or anything, and it worked out wonderfully.  It frayed ever so slightly on the ends, but otherwise worked great.  I liked it better than the stretchier fabrics because it didn't stretch out and have to be readjusted much while wearing it the way a real moby tends to.
    Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
    Home Birthing-Breastfeeding-Cloth Diapering-Baby Wearing-CoSleeping-Delayed/Selective Vaccination Mama to Charlie (5yrs) and Madeline (21mos)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"