Birth Stories
Options

Kolton's long, late birth story

On the April 18th I started having contractions every 10 minutes apart. I called my Dr. She said go to L&D.

I did and was told it was false labor. Wait until contractions were 5 minutes apart. Contractions continued every 7-10 minutes until April 22nd.

On the 22nd contractions were 5 minutes apart for 6 hours. Again called Dr. said go to L&D.
Again monitored and told it was false labor wait until I could not talk through contractions or my water broke. Back home DH and I went.

On April 24th, I though I had a slow leak of fluid. Again called Dr. went to L&D and sent home false labor and now uterine spasms.

I have a high pain tolerance and was dealing with swelling and the contractions.

On May 5th my contractions started getting a little more painful but nothing horrible. They have got to the point where every contraction I had I was vomiting. This is my body?s natural response to pain.

Once I hit a certain pain level I no longer feel pain I just vomit. I have broken bones and thought I had a stomach virus.

I could still talk as a contraction starts and in-between vomiting.

I had no desire to go back to L&D and be sent home yet again for false labor. I'm young and I felt like the nursing staff kept laughing at me for coming in.

My Dr. said that I should stay hydrated and wait until I could not talk through contractions or my water broke. She said I would feel the pain and know when it was time.

I did not think there will come a point I could not talk. I have broken my hip in 3 places and still talked the entire time except when vomiting.

I WAS SO DONE! I had a Dr. appointment the next morning so I decided to wait it out. My body was not reacting well to continued contractions.

DH and I got no sleep because I was up all night puking and he was installing WOW on his computer. He jokingly said you know after I get all of this installed Kolton?s going to decide to show up today and I?m not going to get to play at all.

I had been having painful contractions for 18 days when I went to my Dr. appointment on the 6th. I had no change in my cervix at all. No dramatic change in the pain level of contractions either.

When I got to the Dr. on the 6th everything was normal. I peed in a cup and then they took my blood pressure and pulse. My blood pressure was elevated so they asked me lay on my left side. This did not lower my blood pressure. I still felt the same as I had for the past 18 days. My Dr. said I needed to go to the hospital again to be monitored. By now this was routine.

DH and I headed home grabbed our half packed bags. I packed them 20 days ago! During those 20 days things had to come out because I only fit into a few outfits at this point. We walked out and almost forgot the car seat! I hobbled back to the apartment and grabbed it and headed to the hospital. We grabbed McDonalds on the way there knowing we would be there at least 2 hours to be monitored.

We get to the ER and check in and have about a 20-30 min wait and talk to the lady checking us in. Finally, we headed up to L&D. My amazing nurse, Sue, came in and hooked me up to the monitors and started asking me all of questions they ask every time you get checked in. I answered them before she asked because I knew the order of the questions.

When the questions were done being asked she got a worried look on her face and said she would be right back she needed to call the dr.

She came back and said the dr. would be right up but I was going to be induced. DH started calling our family to tell them I was at the hospital but I was being induced so it could take a while we would let them know when I was farther along.

Sue checked me and said I was not even a 1 and it was pushing it to say I was 50% effaced. So the dr. came in and tried to check my cervix. It felt like he was trying to shove his whole arm inside me! I told him that I had issues with my left hip. It was undiagnosed because of not having insurance then getting pregnant so no x-rays could be taken.

He got quiet and you could tell what he was about to say normally makes pregnant women freak out. He told me due to everything he would like me to have a c-section but if I wasn?t comfortable with it we could try to be induced. I told him I would prefer to have a c-section and I would have rather scheduled on from the beginning. He was shocked and happy.

DH called our family again not even 10 minuets after the first call to say Kolton would be out very soon. My blood pressure at its highest was 195/210. Kolton?s heart rate was still great and he was moving around just fine.

Quickly DH got into scrubs and the anesthesiologist came running (literally) into the room. She had the thickest accent of anyone I have ever met.

She explained she wasn?t from around here and her car was broke so she had to carpool and the person she carpools with works in a different part of the hospital so she had to run from there.

Then she said she was going to put me to sleep and I freaked out. Sue had told me I would still be awake just numb. I asked the anesthesiologist and she said she would have to ask my dr.

The minute she was out of the room was one of the longest minutes of my life. She finally came back and said I would just be numb. Thank God!

I sat on the bed and leaned onto DH. I felt nothing as she gave me the epi. I transferred myself into the bed they used to take me to the OR. I kissed DH and headed into the OR. The nurses told DH to stand in the hallway until I was completely numb.

I laid on the bed in the OR and my BP started to rise. The anesthesiologist started to try to get me numb. After a minute I asked if I should be numb and she said yes? well I wasn?t! She upped the amount of drugs in my epi.

After a few minutes I still wasn?t numb. My BP was getting higher and Kolton?s heart rate dropped from 150 to 120. I got worried and they put an oxygen mask on me. She upped the amount yet again and started to tell me to calm down and think about how great hearing Kolton?s first words would be.

I just wanted her to shut up and let me concentrate on breathing to calm myself down. The dr. came over and tried to start cutting me! I yelled that I could still feel that and it HURT! So the dr. started to poke around and ask me where I could feel and where I couldn?t my right side finally got numb but my left wasn?t numb at all!

The anesthesiologist tipped the bed so I felt like I was about to fall onto the floor on my left side. Finally my left foot started to get numb. Then up to my knee was numb. Then up to my hip. Then it stopped.
Kolton?s heart rate was dropping and was at 115. I was extremely nervous that I wasn?t going to get numb. In a last ditch effort the anesthesiologist tipped my bed so I was almost standing on my head!

This made me get a little more numb and Kolton?s heart rate drop again to 100!

This whole time the anesthesiologist is telling me to think about how great all of these firsts of Kolton?s will be. Like his first day of school and his first kiss and his first car? I was ready to punch her in the throat! I just wanted her to be quiet and make me numb!

The put my bed back so I was level with the floor and Kolton?s hear rate dropped yet again to 90! I didn?t care that I was not completely numb I knew he needed out so I said ok just get him out. DH wasn?t in the room! I yelled at the anesthesiologist to get him and he sat down and tried to talk to me and I very rudely yell, ?I love you but, SHUT THE F*** UP!? He kissed my hand and just sat there silently.

DH was on my right and holding my hand and I was holding onto my IV pole with my left hand. They cut me open and thankfully I was completely numb and could just feel like he was unzipping my skin! Such a weird feeling!

The dr. started to pull Kolton and out then stopped and said the cord was wrapped around his neck, 3 times!!!! I heard him whimper twice then let out a big cry and they took him to the table by my head where he was getting cleaned off and I got to see him for the first time and started to cry.
The dr. said that I would feel some pressure. NO! I felt everything! I felt his hands! I felt him pulling on my uterus! I felt the pain from being cut open!

I couldn?t form coherent thoughts the only thing I could do was squeeze the IV poll and scream. I couldn?t think of the words to express the amount of pain I was in so I yelled that my bladder was exploding.

The anesthesiologist thinks that this will be a good time to again start telling me to think about Kolton?s first! She finally told me she was going to knock me out. I remember screaming and hearing her tell me that then nothing.

DH was scared and had no idea what was going on. After they knocked me out they told him he had to leave. He got handed Kolton then had to go to the nursery with him. He asked a few times if I was ok and the nurses told him if anything was wrong they were sure they would hear about it! To say the least he was very worried. He was so worried about me.

DH?s dad and step- mom are the only people who made it in time because they live in town. The rest of our family lives an hour and a half away and made it before I woke up.

I woke up about an hour and a half after I got put under. I felt great when I woke up. Sue was by my side and I asked is Kolton ok? She said yes. I asked if I was ok again she said yes. Finally I asked if DH was ok and again was told yes. I asked how big and what time Kolton was born at. Sue told me she would find out for me.

Kolton Michael was born at 5:21pm May, 6th 2010 and weighed 8lb 5oz and was 21 ? inches long.
I was shocked to say the least! He was 9 days early and throughout my pregnancy I was told he was on the small side!

I had to stay in the hospital for 6 days because my BP would not go down. After 3 weeks it finally began to lower itself.

Kolton had jaundice and had to come home with a billi blanket. Heal pricks were horrible for mommy and baby.

Breast feeding did not work for numerous reasons. I had a lot of guilt about it until I saw how happy he was on formula.

He is an amazing sleeper with a few bad days here and there. I can?t believe he will be 3 months next week or it took me that long to finish typing this!

I never knew I could love some one so much.

Thank you for reading all of this. It's so long because it is going into his baby book. 

If you have any questions I'm more than willing to answer any.

Re: Kolton's long, late birth story

• Options
    Holy crikey!! That's a hell of a delivery=( Sorry you had to feel it, but he is just amazingly beautiful!! Congratulations!
  • Options
    That was scary!  But congratulations on you baby boy!  He is aborable!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

OMG!  How scary.  I'm now willing to try everything they tell me to get this baby to turn.  I have a weird fear of C/S.

He's a beautiful little boy. 

• Options
    You were amazing through all of this. I am so happy that you and your family are doing well today. Congratulations. Thank you for sharing your story.
  • Options
    OMG, you poor thing! I am so glad you and your adorable boy are safe and sound! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"