Military Families
Options

Expecting our first in Germany!

My husband is stationed in Germany at Spangdahlem and we are expecting our little guy in October. I get to deliver off-base at a German hospital and I am very excited about that. Anyone else ever deliver off-base in a foreign country?

Re: Expecting our first in Germany!

• Options
    Howdy.  We are at Spang too.  Which hospital will you be at? 
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    I had my third in a German hospital.  I loved it.  It was better than the births in the US for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just hopped over here from 6-9 but a couple we are currently stationed with delivered their first in Germany. She loved it! It was standard practice to get an ultra sound at every appointment. She said the care was excellent as well. Congrats!
  • Options

image12bailey18:
    I just hopped over here from 6-9 but a couple we are currently stationed with delivered their first in Germany. She loved it! It was standard practice to get an ultra sound at every appointment. She said the care was excellent as well. Congrats!

Yep.  I got an ultrasound every time I went in, I loved it!  My doctor was great as was the midwife that was at the hospital that delivered her (there the OB stood by as the midwife delivered).  They are a little more cautious with some things and are more natural with some things.  In the US I was hooked up to IVs right away and couldn't eat or drink.  In Germany I didn't get an IV until the very end, like minutes before I was pushing, and they offered me food and drinks when I got there around 9 pm.  If I was to have more kids I told my husband I want to go back to Germany lol....not gonna happen though since I feel done.  

• Options
    The natural part is really important to me, I want to try going drug free & a water birth, which is really common here & BONUS Tricare pays for it! I will be at Wittlich and so far I love the staff. One of my fav things is seeing Aiden at every appointment, it's really fun to compare them!
  • Options
    Hey!  I had my first son at Wittlich Feb 2009 and we will be having our second there this October!  I have nothing really to compare it to since I didn't give birth anywhere else, but we thought it was a really good experience.  If you have any specific questions, feel free to e-mail me at jenmichelle82@yahoo.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"