Natural Birth
Options

To Doula or not to doula...

Being new to natural birthing, I was wondering if a doula is really that neccessary? My midwife come with 2 other midwifes or midwifes in training for all of her births. Will this just make my home birth too crowded? Would it be a necessity? What are the types of things I should look for in a doula if I should have one?

TIA!

Re: To Doula or not to doula...

• Options
    Are you birthing at home or in a hospital? Will your midwife and her trainees be with you through your entire labor? If you're birthing at home, in addition to being your labor coach (if your midwife is not taking that role) a doula would take care of any other children that may be there, make food, make sure everyone is comfortable, and just be there if needed. If you're going to be in a hospital and your midwife will not be with you the entire time, then a doula would just be your labor coach/advocate. HTH.
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • Options

How supportive do you think DH will be?  This would also be a consideration since a doula could also take the role of birth coach if you don't already have a good one.

I am highly supportive of doulas, but didn't have one last time (more just because I ran out of time to research/hire one) and was fully supported during birth between DH, two midwives-in-training and my midwife at the birth center.  This time, for my home birth, I'll have a friend come as the back-up support (taking care of my son, if needed, getting food, videotaping, etc.) besides my midwives and DH.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I had a natural birth about a year ago.  I was lucky/unlucky enough to have a very fast labor (4 cm to baby out in 1 1/2 hours).  The unlucky part of that was that I was dilating about half a cm/contraction...It hit HARD and FAST and was INTENSE (and there wouldn't have been time for an epi, even if I had wanted it!) 

Anyways, that is the backstory...To answer the question, I did have a doula.  DH says that it was the best money that we have ever spent in our lives and he loved our doula and she was so important and next time we will have the same doula even if we have to live in a tent, eat only rice and beans and sell our dogs' organsto pay for it...

I think she was really helpful and she did a better job of helping me through the contractions than DH did.  However, I would have made it through labor without her.

All that being said, we will probably have her as our doula again next time.  I was really pleased with the pictures she took right after DD was born!  Next time, I will make sure she knows that I want to see my placenta, though.  I forgot to tell her and it was gone before I had a chance to look at it.  I've never seen a placenta...

• Options
    We had a homebirth sans doula.  I didn't miss her, but there were plenty of people there.   We had a midwife, a student midwife, a birth assistant and DH.  There was always someone there to help me out.
    Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • Options
    I'm having a home birth and am in a similar situation - two midwives will come plus a student midwife!  The reason why we're going the doula route, even with all of this support, is because a doula is there for the WHOLE labor (or rather, when it becomes consistent) - not just "active" labor like the midwives.  I want someone there to support DH and me while I labor - whether that be for 4 hours (nice!) or 24!  
  • Options
    I am a huge advocate for doulas, but I had a home birth with 3 midwives. One of which acted as a doula and one who was like a substitute for my husband who wasnt there. I felt completely attended to.  If you were in a hospital, i would advise a doula but in this case one of your midwives or assistants will probably be working in that role.  I would talk about it with your midwife.
  • Options

I think it all depends on:

What roles they will each take

When they will arrive at your labor

What you feel your needs are, do you want someone to be there sooner rather than later

If they will all TRULY be there (I know many MWs who WORK with other MWs but only ONE and the apprentice/student will be there)

Example: I am working with a MW right now as her apprentice. When she is called to a laboring woman, I show up first to do some checking in, make sure it is real labor, assess where she is at at that point. If I think it's too early, I will call MW and let her know. If she has another woman in labor, I might go be there at that birth, or she might ask me to stay with this laboring woman. OR she might ask me to leave yall alone so that the family can 'get things going' on their own. Doulas are ALWAYS really helpful in all of these situations, because they can 'labor sit' with the laboring couple, or they can help me prep the birthing pool, get equipment set up, massage mama, feed the family, watch the older siblings, etc... My MW works with another MW, but both don't come to the birth. 

OR you might find that they WILL all be there and it might be too crowded. I would ask your MW what the plan is when you think you are in labor... ask how it might all play out with who would come and when. 

I just blogged about this here, btw. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"