Special Needs

RP: Food allergies/intolerance

Wasn't sure which board was the best to ask this, saw some posts here about allergies. My little one has been having issues with solids. First time she had rice cereal she spit up, next time she ate it she all out vomited. I had already stopped eating any dairy when she was smaller because she would always throw up the day after I had any, especially milk and ice cream. The doc told me she might be allergic to dairy, then rice. Now she threw up the peas she tried and doc says she might be allergic to that too. The only thing she seems to keep down is apples and squash, and that she spits up occassionaly. Anyone have a very sensitive baby? Did it turn out to be allergies or just intolerance to the food that eventually went away? Just wondering if you have any info/tips cause my poor little one seems to love eating solids, they just don't love her back. TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: RP: Food allergies/intolerance

• Both my sons had a very sensitive gag reflex. My oldest would literally puke up entire jars of baby food. I've never heard of a baby being allergic to peas. My youngest had the same issue and we thought he was allergic to dairy also, but he ended up having the same issue.
  • We had my DS tested when he was a month old because he had blood in his stool.  He had really bad reflux and its turns out that he was allergic to milk and soy.  I was formula feeding bc I could not breastfeed due to medication I had to take.  What did the ped say?  I would maybe talk to a pediatric allergist. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemeghans30:
    Both my sons had a very sensitive gag reflex. My oldest would literally puke up entire jars of baby food. I've never heard of a baby being allergic to peas. My youngest had the same issue and we thought he was allergic to dairy also, but he ended up having the same issue.

I'd never heard of a pea allergy either until she told me. Then she gave me a long list of other things that could cause an allergic response and I had no idea about any of those either. She said they start with the yellow/orange veggies cause they are less likely to cause problems but that green veggies can be allergenic. She told me only to try apples, pears, and squash for now. Even bananas can cause reactions, hadn't heard that one either. She also said not to give her any grains, no rice anymore of course, and no oatmeal. She did say though that it's possible that in a few months it will go away.

• I know there is a pretty good Food allergy group on babycenter, amazing what ppl can be allergic to. I remember one lady said her kid was so allergic to pork that cooking bacon or going to a petting farm made her lil one vomit. 

also corn, yikes, almost everything has corn in it (never knew that before snooping around that board when I was fearful my LO had allergies  

imageimage
    Max 4-08-08 and Michael 2-03-91 (19 years olds)
    image Both boys were born w/ hirschsprung's disease, you find yourself facing this dx, please feel free to ask me any questions.
  • It sounds like it certainly could be food intolerance/allergies.  DS could not tolerate powder formula until he was over a year because of the corn syrup solids in it.  He was diagnosed with Multiple Food Protein Intolerance.  He can't have any dairy, soy or wheat. While on baby food, he could not have sweet potatoes either.  We are working our way up to them.  My niece is 13 months and also has a lot of problems with foods. 

FWIW, our GI told us that rice was one of the safest foods.  It isn't impossible that he is allergic to rice but highly unlikely.  Which brand of rice cereal did you use?  Several have soy in them as well.  Earth's Best, Happy Babies, and Beechnut (I think) do not.  

For awhile, we thought DS was intolerant to chicken.  However, we figured out it was the breading on the chicken.

• I don't think it's a gag reflex, although that's good to know cause I wouldn't have thought of it. She usually starts vomiting about an hour or 2 after eating the food.

I thought it was weird that she would have a reaction to rice so I asked the pedi and she said it's rare but possible. I also brought up that maybe it is one of the additives in baby rice cereal and whether I should make my own from actual rice. She said I could try it but to wait a few months so that LO's digestive tract has a chance to mature a bit more. I actually first used Beech Nut rice cereal cause I had used it with DD1 but after she started throwing up I noticed it has a bunch of additives. Then I tried Earth's Best but she threw that up too. So it's either an additive in both (EB only has rice, tocepherols (which can be made from soy or corn) and iron) or it's the rice. I did notice now though that when I ate rice the next day she spit up more. Maybe it's coincidence and I'm exaggerating, I don't know, but it's definitely odd. I would have even doubted myself whether she was vomiting, but one of the times my sister was there and she saw her gag and start projecting it so I know it's not just me who thinks she's having a worse reaction than just spit up. In any case it's still very odd. Hopefully she'll get over it, but I'm going really slowly with the solid food.

• imageSweetMonkey:

I know there is a pretty good Food allergy group on babycenter, amazing what ppl can be allergic to. I remember one lady said her kid was so allergic to pork that cooking bacon or going to a petting farm made her lil one vomit. 

also corn, yikes, almost everything has corn in it (never knew that before snooping around that board when I was fearful my LO had allergies  

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the group.

• My son has a severe allergy to peas and green beans... its in the lagume family - peanuts - tree nuts - etc...

I had him tested at 9 months for allergies. Its not fun but better to find out now. 

Good Luck. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"