Preemies

Should I worry that they are not rolling yet?

My ticker gives their actual and adjusted age.  They have not started rolling over yet.  Not even trying.  If I put my baby girl in a sitting position she will sit for 10 - 15 mins and my son is getting there also.  But the no rolling over is getting me a little worried.  Should I just be patient or is there something I can do to help them out? 

My twins Benjamin and Olivia

Re: Should I worry that they are not rolling yet?

• I wouldn't worry just yet. And they're sitting on their own already?! That's great! Some kids excel at one thing and are a little further off on something else. Wait to see what your pedi says at the 6 month (adjusted) check-up.

As for helping them roll, lots of tummy time. Also, when they're on their backs, take their knee and start them rolling to the opposite side (for example, right knee crossed over left leg toward the left).. when they get to their side, pause for a minute and see if they make any effort to go to tummy or back to their back. Try in both directions. This is something our physical therapist suggested.

For what it's worth, my son makes no effort to roll either, and he's five months adjusted.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you.  It is something I will bring up at their next appt.  I try to put them on their tummy but they HATE it.  They will put their head down and cry.  But I keep trying.  I'm going to try what you suggested more often also.  I think I've been concentrating too much on their actual age because of the fact that they are doing so well with their weight and i need to remember their adjusted age as well..  Thank you again!

My twins Benjamin and Olivia

• Loading the player...
  • my daughter rolls but my son will not.

neither of them can sit on their own yet - sounds like your LOs are doing great!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • DD was a 32 weeker. She didn't start rolling until 9 months. She has no developmental delays - she just wants to do things when SHE wants to do them :)  Babies can be stubborn - particularly preemies! I wouldn't worry at all.
  • What helped us is doing tummy time with a blanket rolled up and placed under DS's arms. It elevates him just enough to make him want to look around a little more. We also put a ton of toys in front of him. Tummy time on the Boppy works well too, Just watch them so they don't slip down.

And I'm so glad to hear that some many of your babies are not yet sitting. I was getting worried about DS not even being close despite lots of pratice. I know it's all in their own time, but it still makes me feel better to know he is not alone.

• I don't think I would worry yet!
  • I wouldn't worry.  DS didn't roll until 7 or 8m. (5-6 adj.) and even then, it was maybe only once a month.  He didn't really roll until he was around 13m. when he learned how to crawl.  I think his trunk wasn't strong enough to do either until then.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"